| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Hemoglobin Levels  (Read 2726 times)

Offline RB18

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
Hemoglobin Levels
« on: August 22, 2020, 04:08:22 PM »
I donated a little over six months ago in a paired kidney donation. All of my follow up labs have been fine. I am also a platelet donor. I have not been able to get to the blood center much post donation and want to get back in the habit of regular donation again. When I went to donate platelets this go around, I was deferred due to low hemoglobin.

I know how to eat in advance of a donation to not be deferred. Although I realize there are many reasons this can happen, it made me curious - has anyone here had lower hemoglobin levels post-donation? I have, overall, been a bit lower since my surgery (although this is the first time I've fallen below normal.)

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Hemoglobin Levels
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 08:42:02 PM »
I myself was long ago ruled out for life from donating blood due to a case of food/water contaminated Hepatitis (but could donate a kidney despite that) so I'm not up-to-date of blood/platelet donation. You might also want to post your question at the FaceBook page of Living Donors on Line as that gets more readers/posters these days. Also the FaceBook site of "Living Kidney Donors Support Group", as I know there are frequent blood/platelet donors there who had donated a kidney.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved