| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Where did you donate?  (Read 36261 times)

Offline texman87

• Conversationalist
Re: Where did you donate?
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2011, 03:51:09 PM »
I donated at "The Johns Hopkins" sorry i just have to put their name is quotes... they are the most arrogant hospital I have ever dealt with.  JH process to me feels more like a cattle call than a donation process. The surgeon was good, but did not consider previous medical history in my post-op care and this caused future issues.  I dont regret donating my kidney whatsoever, but doing it at a JH yeah I do.  I would of prefered Methodist San Antonio... they were so nice there.
Brett

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2011, 04:30:54 PM »
I donated 4 years ago to my brother at Johns Hopkins and felt like I was a spare part with arms and legs attached. I thought maybe it was just me and I was over sensitive and had some grandiose ideas about what a hospital experience should be like for a donor who was having elective surgery to help improve the life of their family member. i wrote a letter to the head of surgery detailing both the positive and negatives of the experience and she never responded; just passed it to some PR person. I did receive a letter signed by her asking me for money to continue some program yada yada. I did make a donations but earmarked them for living donor funds.

Nice to hear you were able to separate the less than positive experience and concentrate on the other positives of being a living donor.

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

BSherrard

« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2011, 11:29:37 AM »
University of MD. in Baltimore.   The center did a tremendous job with the entire process!!!  :)

Offline bradmac

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2011, 04:54:25 PM »
Medical College of Georgia - Augusta, GA

Offline jmaurer

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2011, 08:47:57 PM »
I donated at University of Pennsylvania Hospital in Philadelphia.  They are supposed to be one of the best transplant centers in the country but I have been totally underwhelmed by them.  The pre-transplant coordinator never returned my calls and it took 5 calls by me just to get an appt. to get tested.  Post surgery there has been NO contact from them.  I had to call several times to get my one year post-surgery check-up and after that they sent me on my way and have no interest in how I am doing.  I saw that others sent their yearly blood work to the transplant center...definitely not the case with Upenn.  Disappointed.

Offline WillowTree

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2011, 01:01:10 PM »
Hi Phil,

It's been an awfully long time since I was on here. Just had the urge to get back on today.
I donated at The Victoria General in Halifax, Nova Scotia. i actually live in NB but they don't do transplants in my province.

JIMMYSIHARATH

« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2011, 04:32:33 PM »
 UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURGH MEDICAL CENTER , GREAT STAFF AND VERY INVOLVED WITH EACH PROCESS OF THE WAY , IM 24 SO THAT WAS VERY COMFORTING HAVING THE EXPERIENCE AND PROFESSIONALISM OF SUCH A MEDICAL INSTITUTIONS, BUT QUESTION EVERYONE I DONATED 2008 MY DOCTOR SAID THEIR WOULD BE A CHEMICAL IMBALANCE IN MY BODY, DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHAT CHEMICALS THOSE MIGHT BE

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2011, 06:23:42 PM »
     I'm not sure what "chemical imbalance" the doctor might have been referring to. Many donors report a higher-than-normal creatinine in the blod for some time after donation. And some donors may have trouble with adrenaline if the flow of that hormone is distrubed from the adrenal gland near the removed kidney. That's all I can think of at present.
   best wishes,
      Fr. Pat

Offline ars0168

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2012, 03:25:33 PM »
New York, NY  - Weill-Cornell

wwjd1947

« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2012, 06:28:40 PM »
I donated at Johns Hopkins on Feb. 14, 2009.  I was the non-directed donor in which 6 recipients received a kidney that day.  I was treated very well.  I cannot relate to those posting that felt they did not receive the care they felt they deserved.  I am currently in a living donor study at JH.

Offline That guy

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2012, 07:59:11 PM »
I donated at the Cleveland Clinic on December 12, 2011.  Absolutely fantastic staff and facility.  The 4 days that I was in the hospital weren't exactly my happiest (mainly due to a previously unknown allergy to morphine....that was fun  ::)).  However, the nurses were absolutely amazing.  Incredibly caring and courteous. 

SugarMonkey

« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2012, 12:05:37 AM »
Hi! First post here. I'm 2 and a half weeks post-op. I donated at Rush University, Chicago on December 28, 2011. I spent New Years Eve in the hospital, but I really just slept for 4 days so I don't feel like I missed much! ;D I donated to my (step) sister who is two years older than me. I was the first one tested and fortunately we were a match! My sister is doing great, and I am doing well. I still have some pain and unfortunately they had to keep me in the hospital longer because they couldn't find a pain medication that worked for me. I got sick on the morphine and Norco and Tylenol doens't work for me, so I'm stuck with Ultram, which doesn't work really well either. It's OK, but Aleve, or Alevel-like medications work better. Unfortunately it's bad for the kidney so I can't take it.  :'(

I went back to work on Monday, January 9th but the walking was too much so I took 3 more days off and went back on Friday. I've been well taken care of by family and my boyfriend, so I feel very fortunate.

Regarding Rush, I must say that they are the absolute BEST! This was not my first trip to a hospital, but every single individual, all the way down to the guys who come in to empty the garbage have been so AMAZING! The nurses and pct's really give you the attention you need and are really so caring. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow and may just stop by to see some of the nurses and pct's that were so kind throughout my stay. AND, although I didn't eat for the first three or four days, I started nibbling on the food and it was fantastic! Seriously!

Offline scottlapoint

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2020, 02:11:10 PM »
UCHealth Anschutz in Aurora, CO.  Staff treated me like royalty, and my only regret is that I don't have another kidney to give!

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2020, 08:04:24 PM »
Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, Lebanon, New Hampshire.

Offline RB18

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2020, 07:44:20 AM »
I donated at UF Health Shands in Gainesville, FL. Everyone involved in the process was wonderful to me, always willing to answer any question I had. UF Health is a teaching hospital, so perhaps this was a part of it - but I never felt like any question was a bother to anyone and everyone involved in the process was very responsive.

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional