| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Glofil Studyy and CAT SCAN this coming MOnday  (Read 4340 times)

Offline Pops

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
Glofil Studyy and CAT SCAN this coming MOnday
« on: October 02, 2015, 09:07:17 PM »
I am in the process of being vetted to become a non directed Kidney Donor.  I made the decision after listening to a Freakonomics podcast in which they interviewed Al Roth who won a Nobel Prize in Economics in part for his work in unconventional markets- such as organ donation.  I am a 20+ gallon blood/ pheresis donor, husband of 32 years, father of 6, and brand new grandfather of 1. While no model of health, I have passed all the tests so far.   I just want to thank everyone who has posted on this site. For all the good, bad and ugly about live kidney donation.  Once I make a decision, I then need to immerse myself in facts. Finding this site has been like hitting the jackpot. Your posts, both experiential, factual and the opinions have helped me formulate the questions I need to ask to make sure I know what I am getting myself into.  My wife is somewhat supportive, she knows me well enough to know if I qualify I am following this through. Two or three of my children know, I'll tell the others once I pass the next round of testing.
I have my glofil test and CAT scan Monday and then I have half a day of meetings on Friday with everyone from the pharmacists, the surgeon, a nephrologist the advocate and my coordinator.  I will be sending her a list of questions I have jotted down from all your posts.   
I wonder how many people started taking better care of their kidney's once they made the decision to do this.  My wife has been after me to drink more water for the past 32 years. Now that I have made the decision, I am finally following her advice. I am eating better, trying to exercise and have cut out ibuprofen and alcohol from my life.  I'll keep you posted on how this goes along.

Offline RKEM

• Top 50 poster!
  • I'm new!
Re: Glofil Studyy and CAT SCAN this coming MOnday
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 12:08:15 AM »
Congratz! And I hope all the tests turn out positive I have been taking better care of myself since I started the evaluation process and it's a good motivation to stay healthy. Although I was really not a big water drinker and in the days before the surgery, trying to be "very well hydrated" as recommended, I managed to drink enough to make my potassium levels drop below normal. Nothing serious but something to keep in mind if you're going to increase your water intake ... don't over do it.

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 09:31:36 AM »
Dear Pops,

I think it's a great idea to become more fit before you donate.  It will speed recovery and improve your everyday life long term.  In addition, you will be living the rest of your life with a reduced kidney function and want to give that remaining kidney all the support you can.  I think you should make a commitment to continued good health whether you donate or not, so you can be a great example to your children and your grandchild and grandchildren-to-come.

Love, elephant

Offline Anne Elizabeth

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 11:59:35 AM »
Congratulations on committing to giving so generously where the need is so great.  I work in transplant surgery as a surgical technician and the non-directed living donors are extremely special and very important to those out there who have no loved ones who are matches. 

Implanting a donated kidney into a recipient is my favorite procedure even after ten years of doing the work I do- which consists of LOTS of other services apart from transplant.  It is like "Christmas" every time. 

All those who give their organs- those organs are like gold.  A rare, hard to find, precious resource, that sustains and saves lives.  Clearly, we need to find a better way- we need to change our life styles to prevent kidney diseases in the first place.  But for now, with no other options in sight, the best outcome for those in need is to receive an organ from a healthy living donor organ. BEST OF LUCK for your surgery, your recovery, and your long-term health and happiness.  Best of luck also, to the recipient, who I'm sure is more grateful to you than can ever be expressed. 

Since you have no control over any outcome by your recipient, try to be sure you can reconcile with yourself, whatever your recipient may experience after receiving, including his/her compliance or non-compliance with medical recommendations for their future with your kidney.  Your gift is ultimately unconditional, even though conditions are fostered for the recipient by the medical community.

May your journey in this process provide unimagined richness!

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved