| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Waiting results  (Read 3354 times)

Offline Amyp

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
Waiting results
« on: November 26, 2015, 04:32:55 PM »
Hi,
I have just got back from Cambridge and had my work up done for donating to my sister. Every test came back perfect and they said so far I am a perfect donor but still waiting for my GFR and don't get results until Wednesday and its all I can think about,
My sister is on dialysis and I am panicking that my GFR will be low! Considering all the other results are so good am I panicking unnescessarily?

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Waiting results
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 06:33:45 PM »
     Just take a deep breath and take it a step at a time. Also keep in mind that the usually measure the ESTIMATED GFR (eGFR) through the simpler test. If there is a problem they can also do the more complicated and expensive test to find the REAL GFR, so even if the initial results are problematic it may not be the end of the line. But the tests are to make sure that you can pretty safely donate a GOOD kidney to your sister, and still have reasonable hopes for a normal life with your remaining kidney. No sense donating a kidney and then ending up on the waiting list yourself, so be thankful that the hospital is being careful for you both.
     You might also want to post at the FaceBook page of Living Donors on Line, as many more donors check in there rather than here these days.
      Happy Thanksgiving!
               Fr. Pat

Offline RKEM

• Top 50 poster!
  • I'm new!
Re: Waiting results
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 07:05:52 AM »
I don't think you are panicking unnecessarily ... or at least that it's not normal. I found my degree of anxiety increased the closer I got to being approved as a donor. Maybe because the goal seems that much closer. It's a long process with an end goal that has a life changing impact, yet with so many opportunities for it to go sideways, so I think it's normal to become a bit "obsessed" by it. I know my productivity at work certainly tended to decrease prior to appointments.  ;)

*sending you positive high eGFR vibes*

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional