| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Pray for me (From Colombia)  (Read 1586 times)

Offline waitingformiracle

• My first post!
  • Reactions: +0/-0
  • I'm new!
Pray for me (From Colombia)
« on: January 14, 2016, 07:20:12 PM »
I'm 26 years old male, from Colombia.

I have been on peritoneal dialysis for more than 4 years, and before that some other 4 months of Hemodialysis.

During my childhood and teenage years I was very healthy, never getting anything beyond a cold.  Just turning 21,  I fulfilled my dream of going to study to the beautiful city of Prague in Europe.  The second semester of 2010 was along the best time I have had in my life. New friends, a wonderful city, and overall growing as a human being.    My political science studies were marching good and I considered myself very happy.

Unfortunately and without logical explanation, just starting 2011 I caught a cold.  A week later or such I had not recovered but quite the contrary was feeling worse.   Went to the clinic and got diagnosed with kidney disease stage IV. 
Being the only child of my mother and being everything she has (and she is everything I have)  I decided  to come back to Colombia after some days of being hospitalized.   Here the situation turned worse as the doctors didn't handle the disease well,  letting me get anemic, suffer tachycardia,  and being released and told to go home having creatine 6, potassium 6,5! 
Those weeks at home were among the toughest in life, as I thought I would die while my mother naively believed the words of those doctors, which had stated I was recovering.

Two weeks later and feeling worse, we went to another clinic.  Thank God the head nephrologist decided that I had to dialyze otherwise I could die.  That's how on April 2011 I started hemodialysis, and 5 months later got into APD. 

In these 5 years or so, my kidney function has deteriorated very slowly, thank God I still urinate a good quantity and therefore don't have so many restrictions liquid-wise.   Nevertheless, it does have deterioated and now I need to do on myself more peritoneal dialysis daily exchanges :(        In this time too, I have been excluded from many activities people in their young 20's practice.  I have had to develop a calmer life.  Out of this,   I have become more contemplative.   Not everything has been bad, I try to see the positives from an angle of spiritual growth.

My mother wanted to donate me one of her kidneys since the very beginning.  But she was not accepted.  And I don't have anyone else.   I have been registered in the national transplant list since April 2012. Waiting for a cadaveric donor. But it seems, that cadaveric kidneys are almost non-existent here in Colombia.   First of all, not many people like to register to give away their organs in case they die. Second, it seems the illegal traffic is quite a big thing.   Appareantly, the organs are only given to those with "connections".

Every day I stay as optimistic as possible.   There are some days in which I feel great. In others,  I feel the burden of the kidney absence within me,   whether through general weakness,  ibs,  or acid.  All symptoms I have been told are part of having this disease.
My mother is getting.  and I just want to be able to enjoy life with and without her,   being able to work in what I like, travel,  and maybe meet a girl.    ;D

I'm sorry if my message is inappropiate for this message board. I thought that maybe, just maybe there's a potential donor out there reading this!   and also, I do believe in prayers by people from all around!

thanks a lot!

Offline besboosa

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
Re: Pray for me (From Colombia)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 07:40:37 AM »
Thoughts and prayers go out to you, my friend!
Please donate to a college student in need!  http://gogetfunding.com/student-raising-money-for-college/

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Reactions: +32/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 06:09:40 PM »
Dear "Waiting...",
      I was sorry to read about your suffering, and I pray for you and your family. I am a catholic priest from the U.S., but served for 24 years in Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Guatemala and Cuba, so I do understand that the health care varies a lot from one country to another. 14 years ago I donated my kidney to someone. I did not know of anyone personally who needed a kidney, so the hospital chose a recipient from the waiting list.
      There is only one suggestion that I can offer to you, but I do not know if it applies well in your country or not. I have read many wonderful stories in the U.S., Canada and Britain about kind people who donated a kidney to someone who was not a family member, because they heard that he/she needed a kidney and felt inspired to help. Neighbors, former fellow-students, church members, waitresses, etc. So if in your country a non-relative would be able to donate to you it would be wise to make sure that your need is known to as many people as possible. Notices on bulletin boards, on social media (FaceBook, etc.) information flyers handed out or posted on light poles, etc. It does mean giving up your privacy, but it is surprising how many people there are who are willing to give a kidney once they KNOW about someone who needs one. There MIGHT be someone who lives around the corner from you who would give a kidney, but does not know that you need one, or that transplantation is possible.
      best wishes,
         Fr. Pat

Offline KristaRM

• Speaking out!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 05:48:52 PM »
Prayers sent your way! <3

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved