| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Of Kin And Kidney Transplants: Living As My Sister’s Keeper  (Read 2710 times)

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
Of Kin And Kidney Transplants: Living As My Sister’s Keeper
« on: January 29, 2016, 11:47:48 AM »
http://www.theestablishment.co/2016/01/05/of-kin-and-kidney-transplants-living-as-my-sisters-keeper/

Of Kin And Kidney Transplants: Living As My Sister’s Keeper
BY CHRISTINE WRIGHT

My barrel-chested father cloaks importance with the phrase “Well, you know . . . ”
“Well, you know, we’re having the guest bedroom redone because the oak tree fell through the house.”
“Well, you know, your cousin was born with a vestigial tail.”
Like all well-conditioned animals, my siblings and I honor the subterfuge and react to his declarations with nonchalance.
“Well, you know,” he said on this particular occasion, placing a box of aluminum foil in a drawer, “Your sister’s kidney isn’t very good.”
I swayed in my fuchsia stiletto boots, my hand lightly resting on the sage green counter of my parents’ newly renovated kitchen. My sister’s renal function had been compromised but steady for at least a decade. No one, least of all her many physicians, knew what caused her disease.
“What do we know?” I asked.
“They’re sending her up to [unnamed world-renowned hospital]. They might put her on the transplant list.”
There are only a few situations where it’s acceptable to utter the F-Word in front of your parents. This was one of them.

Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved