| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Donor Seeking Information  (Read 3835 times)

Offline onelesstime

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
Donor Seeking Information
« on: June 03, 2016, 04:10:29 PM »
I am interested in possibly becoming a live donor, however I am not quite sure to go about this, or of the specific guidelines involved.
I have no historic or hereditary medical issues, and take no medication. I am healthy, clean, and exercise daily.
I live in the Denver Metro area.
I would appreciate any assistance or direction.

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
Re: Donor Seeking Information
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 10:04:04 PM »
0) Read as much as you can here. Ask questions. Request a Donor Buddy.
1) Talk to your loved ones. (Really. Do this as soon as possible. Really. Encourage them to ask questions here, too.)
2) Talk to your primary care physician. (Don't have one? Get one. Insurance, too, if you don't have that. Health and life. Tell your doctor about us, too.)
3) Talk to the independent donor advocate at a transplant center near you. (Set foot on the path. This is the formal start. You might choose another center, farther away, for any number of reasons. Might as well start close to home. Denver has several.)
4) Get your end of life documents, directives, and financial plans in order. (All adults should do this anyway. Now's the time. Just in case.)
5) Confirm with your loved ones their commitment to support roles should you suffer complications. (This isn't just about the recipient, or you. Either or both of you have non zero risks of life long debilitating non fatal conditions. Best to face it and plan ahead.)

Still interested? Good for you! Don't be a stranger, talk to us about how far along you are. We're happy to discuss any and all aspects of this. Best wishes.
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline Michael

• Founder of LDO
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online
Re: Donor Seeking Information
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 10:06:53 PM »
Info on becoming a living donor can be found here: https://livingdonorsonline.org/general.htm
Michael
Living Donors Online
Our mission: to improve the living donation experience

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional