| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: How do I begin the process?  (Read 3969 times)

Offline Kmull8

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
How do I begin the process?
« on: June 12, 2016, 06:23:29 PM »
Hello!  I am considering being a living donor for a kidney - I have been to so many web pages but I can't find anything on how to start the process?  Do I just visit my doctor?  Do I need to find a person in need and meet with them - just have no idea where to start and any suggestions will help!  Thank you!!

Offline Michael

• Founder of LDO
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online
Re: How do I begin the process?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 08:00:31 AM »
You can learn how to become a living donor by reading this LDO web page: https://livingdonorsonline.org/general.htm

Please let us know what other questions you have.
Michael
Living Donors Online
Our mission: to improve the living donation experience

Offline RKEM

• Top 50 poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 03:53:11 PM »
Depending on which country you are in, there ought to be some programs. I did my donation in Canada and the Canadian Blood Services is where I found the information I needed to contact the program in my hometown.

At least here you do not need to know or seek out anybody, if you are willing to be a non-directed donor. You can just call and say that you want to donate a kidney. Just be prepared for a lot of "why?" type questions from then on.  ;)

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 08:14:30 AM »
  Bravo! You've already taken the hardest step, not rejecting the idea of being a living donor yourself outright without consideration or reflection. There are challenging times ahead, but you've already joined us. First and best steps are check ins with your loved ones and primary care physician about your own health and their thoughts about supporting you continuing on this path. The nearest urban center is likely to have a hospital with a transplant program that accepts non-directed living donors. If not, they can direct you to the nearest facility with an independent living donor advocate. This is your best resource. Please feel welcome to educate yourself here as well, and to join our discussions. We are here explicitly to support you. Best wishes.
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional