| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Cleared for surgery!  (Read 5108 times)

Offline meenster

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
Cleared for surgery!
« on: June 25, 2016, 12:56:10 AM »
Finally found out today that I am cleared for surgery. It took about 4 months for everything to go through. I will be donating my kidney to my mom and surgery is scheduled for Aug 1st. We will be having it in UC Davis Medical Center in Sacramento, CA. The transplant team is impeccable. It is very "Donor Driven" and they focus the process around the donor. With my mom being a Kaiser patient, the surgery, flight/accommodation is covered by her insurance.

I am so grateful that we are blood and organ compatible and that she doesn't have to go through dialysis. I wanted to make sure that she gets the surgery before dialysis because I wanted her to have a good quality of life. 

She saved my life, so It's my turn to save hers.  :)

Offline Michael

• Founder of LDO
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online
Re: Cleared for surgery!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 08:32:07 AM »
Best of luck to you and your mom!
Michael
Living Donors Online
Our mission: to improve the living donation experience

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 10:47:05 AM »
God bless you both!
     You might want to also post at the FaceBook page of Living Donors on Line if you haven't already, as there are lots of donors there as well.
    Fr. Pat

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 07:03:50 AM »
Dear meenster,

I hope that everything goes great for you and your Mom!  I made a pre-emptive donation to my Dad five years ago. 

You might want to read discussions here about preparing for surgery and recovery.  Then you can ask more questions.

Love, elephant

Offline meenster

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 02:53:41 AM »
Thank you for your kind words! This forum has helped me with some of my concerns and it has opened my eyes to questions I have for my transplant team! I am very grateful for this site!!!

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 08:29:17 PM »
Best wishes to you both!
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 09:32:02 AM »
Best wishes - I did a pre-emptive donation to my husband 4 1/2 years ago.  We are both doing great.  I've read that transplants are most successful if the patient has never been on dialysis, so I'm happy we were able to do it before he needed dialysis (though he got down to very, very low levels of function right before the transplant).

Hope it goes well for you.  I found the surgery and recovery easy, but I know not everyone is so lucky.

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved