| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Finally got surgery date to donate-(before I literally decayed too much)  (Read 3289 times)

Offline Spirited64

• Top 200 Poster!
  • I'm new!
Aug. 23rd.  I started process to be nondirected donor about a year ago!  Once I got the actual surgery date, I have to say it was the 1st time I started to feel nervous- the butterflies thing.
It will be a paired exchange.  A longer chain was hoped for, but it was getting too hard for the transplant people to get potential donors to pass the tests.  Finally 1 donor did pass (all I know is that he/she runs marathons).  So, 2 transplants will get done.  The center I will be at does not allow contact prior to surgery.  I do not agree with this (to me it is sort of paternalistic), but I think perhaps the week after surgery we can meet (unless someone does not want to).  I always want to know everything I can, so it is really hard for me not to know anything about the others involved.  I also will be 65 yrs. old in mid sept., but physically am much younger and am also very immature- :>))
Have no idea of the age of my "intended" (recipient).  All I know is that I am now in whole new territory.

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Congratulations! I donated non-directed 14 years ago, when I was 56. I'm doing fine at 70, still running a slow half-marathon twice a year here in Japan.
      Each hospital has its own policies about meeting before surgery. Some hospitals encourage it, feeling that it promotes healing. Others forbid it, concerned that perhaps the potential donor will back out for not liking the race, religion, ethnicity, politics, etc. of the chosen recipient. Or fearing that money may change hands. All sorts of people in the world. I know of one case where the proposed RECIPIENT backed out after meeting the proposed donor, because that donor clearly expressed his presumption that OF COURSE the recipient would join the donor's Church after the transplant.
      So, just go along with whatever policies your hospital has. Each system has its pluses and minuses.
      You might want to also post at the FaceBook page of Living Donors on Line, as these days many more donors check in there rather than here.
     Please let us know how it goes.
           best wishes,
                 Fr. Pat

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved