| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Monthly calendar post: Desirable? Anybody willing to back me up?  (Read 3512 times)

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
I've missed posting the calendar summary three times this year, after years of doing it. Each occasion was a different combination of reasons, but the trend seems noteworthy (three times is enemy action...) Do you look at it? Enjoy it? It tends to be a popular, i.e., widely read topic regularly, but is it the same folks? New folks? Only because I also post links to our various social media connections? All I do is copy and paste the calendar listings to a text file, then drop them into a post I lock to the top of the discussion forum. Anybody could do it. If there are those who look forward to it, or have anecdotes about only finding us because of it, I'm game to continue. I would appreciate not losing it entirely if I haven't managed it myself, though. What are your thoughts, all? Thanks!

Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Monthly calendar post: Desirable? Anybody willing to back me up?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 07:31:30 AM »
     I myself enjoy reading it. I've been on here for about 14 years now, so it is pleasant recognizing the names of folks I had read about or even communicated with over the years. I think it may be helpful to new-comers as well, to remind them that they are not alone and that donating may not be such a crazy idea after all. Occasionally I'll drop someone a line on their anniversary as well.
    But I don't think I would be of much help as a "back-up" as my computer skills are primitive. Thanks for all your work.
                 Fr. Pat

Offline Michael

• Founder of LDO
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 05:13:56 PM »
I'm definitely a fan. Maybe it's literally a "thankless" job but it's one that I think is important to the LDO "brand"--that we're here (in part) to recognize the accomplishments of living donors. When I remember, I usually send a tweet with a link to the list, so we get some publicity that way. And you obviously are getting readership from it. So unless it's burdensome or if there's some way to automate the process, I'm in favor of continuing the practice, even if we miss a month or two (or three).
Michael
Living Donors Online
Our mission: to improve the living donation experience

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 05:19:39 PM »
I appreciate reading the monthly anniversaries as well. It is great reminder of "life goes on" and, as Fr. Pat said, it is nice to see the names of people you have interacted with over the years. Rather than doing it monthly, how about if you did it quarterly? would that make it any easier?
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved