| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: grants or assistants for donors  (Read 3360 times)

Offline robert wood

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
grants or assistants for donors
« on: September 01, 2016, 12:55:37 PM »
My son has agreed to donate part of he liver to me. He lives in N.Y.C. and has a child. I am trying to find if there is anything out there that could help him. Look forward to hearing from you.

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: grants or assistants for donors
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 07:23:38 PM »
Robert Wood,

Best of luck to you and your son as you embark on the transplant journey.

Unfortunately there is not a lot of financial help out there for donors or the assistance offered is often based on income. Here is a link to one organization who helps but I believe the donor or the recipient must qualify.

https://www.livingdonorassistance.org/Home/default.aspx

You can also reach out to your insurance company and to your case manager there to see if they cover any expenses for travel or lodging or loss of wages for your donor. Donors cannot be paid but certain expenses may be reimbursed. Your son should also speak with the Living Donor Advocate as well as his transplant coordinator  and social worker at the hospital where the surgery will be taking place. They should be able to help guide him with finances, making sure his Advanced Directives are in order, review the risks of surgery, make sure he is covered by his health insurance for his future health care needs. Lots of things to think about before embarking on an elective surgery of this kind. He will need to have someone help care for him post surgery until he is able to go back home to NYC. Not sure how far he has to travel.

some recipients also reach out to their spiritual or religious community for a fund raiser to help cover costs of the donor expenses, like travel or hotel lodging or loss of wages to help pay bills while he is out of work. Not sure what type of sick leave he has but some jobs are more flexible than others.

Wishing you and your family the best. Keep us posted.

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved