| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Menstrual cycle after donation  (Read 4839 times)

Offline Kbh

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
Menstrual cycle after donation
« on: September 16, 2016, 10:20:50 PM »
I am almost 2 months out from donating a kidney to my sister. After donation my periods have been much heavier and I have began also passing clots. Thanks full they aren't painful but a lot concerning when I'm have to wear both a tampon and pad. Has anyone else had anything like this happen after donation?

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Menstrual cycle after donation
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 04:37:38 AM »
You might want to post your question also at the FaceBook page of Living Donors on Line, as many more people check in there and you will get more responses.
   best wishes,
        Fr. Pat

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 07:15:08 AM »
Dear KBH,

I experienced that BEFORE donation.  Not an uncommon issue in women.  It's tempting to think that every physical change after donation is linked to the donation, but mostly it's just a new issue.   Do see your gynecologist, there are a number of possible causes and treatments. 

love, elephant

Offline RKEM

• Top 50 poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 01:06:36 PM »
I'm one year post donation and although my menstrual cycle doesn't appear to have changed much, I did notice that the cramps are worse and sometimes I will get random twinges of pain. Same if I am having some cramps for an unrelated reason. I figure it is probably adhesions which get triggered whenever there is swelling down there.

I would certainly follow up a physician if this persists. It could be related to the donation or something else.

Offline kidneydonor21

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 05:23:30 PM »
Hello!  I donated my kidney 3.5 months ago and I definitely noticed a change in my period for the first 2 cycles (unfortunately I got my period the day after donating -- but fortunately, I couldn't feel any cramps because of the medication!).  For me, it was heavier, I had painful cramps, and it lasted longer than usual. 

Were you on birth control before donating?  I was - both for contraception and  also to regulate my period (I get painful cramps). So, when they made me stop taking them before the surgery, I'd say those first two periods were very much like the ones I experienced in high school (my worst ones). But cycle 3 was not as bad, and I'm still not back on the pill.

Hope this helps.

Offline RKEM

• Top 50 poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 04:58:59 PM »
I got into a similar situation with regards to monthly timing. I was due to start on the day of surgery. But it seems the massive amount of stress somehow stalled my periods until I left the hospital, which was good given the lack of mobility and ... ahem ... the tube down there after surgery.

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional