| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Day 9 post surgery  (Read 8405 times)

Offline 1982ABD

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
Day 9 post surgery
« on: October 16, 2016, 06:41:13 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I donated a kidney to my uncle 9 days ago. My recovery has been really good. However I have a continuous 'stitch' type pain where I presume my kidney would be. Can anyone advise if they have experienced anything similar? And how long it lasted for?

Thanks,

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Day 9 post surgery
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 10:45:45 PM »
     I donated by the large open cut 14 years ago, so the pain situation was different from what happens with the laparoscopic method (which I presume you had.) But, in general, assorted pains can be expected for a while. Things that got sewn up have to heal, and everything that was moved has to resettle.
     You might want to also post at the FaceBook page of Living Donors on Line as more donors check in there these days.
           best wishes,
                   Fr. Pat

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 10:36:30 AM »
For a good amount of time I felt an internal "pull" if I moved wrong or funny. I knew they had a number of internal stitches or closure clips that they used. However, I was quite surprised a number of years back when I went to a chiropractor and they did an x-ray - wow! There were a lot more clips than I imagined there would be!
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 11:36:33 AM »
Dear 1982,

I hope you and your uncle continue with a good recovery and many healthy years. 

At nine days post-op for sure I had pains in what I called the "kidney hole".  The pain was not disabling, but constant.  It was worse in certain positions, I couldn't have anything pressing on my left side.

If you feel severe pain you'll want to get medical attention right away. 

I found walking and gentle stretching very helpful in the early days after surgery. 

Love, elephant

Offline sdfhd1

• Top 200 Poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 03:37:19 PM »
I donated my kidney 40 months ago I have little pain in my upper right abdomen it can be felt in the back. my doctor told me that could be in the back muscle.

Offline RKEM

• Top 50 poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 04:38:28 PM »
I had quite a bit of sharp pain in various areas of the abdomen ... my theory was that it was adhesion. Later in the healing process (about the 3 weeks mark) I started to do a lot of stretching and it seemed to help reduce those sorts of pain. Once I was mobile enough to stretch and the majority of the swelling had gone down, it subsided almost entirely.

Offline sdfhd1

• Top 200 Poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 04:55:39 PM »
I have bags under my eyes what is this please ?

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional