| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Broken rib  (Read 3466 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Non-directed donation, Oct., 2011
Broken rib
« on: October 30, 2016, 07:58:01 AM »
Hi.  In the vein of, "Be kind to your [one] kidney, and it'll be kind to you"....

Last week I had a bad fall (think wipe-out), which included rolling a few meters and terminated with smacking my rib cage very hard against a rock.  I figured I'd at least cracked or broken a rib or two.  I know that there's typically no treatment for the average rib fracture, and, before my donation, I might not have bothered going for X-rays, etc.

However, this injury was to the side of my (sole) kidney.  So, I went to the clinic to get it checked out, and made very sure carefully to explain to the staff my concern to rule out internal damage, especially to that one kidney.  I ended up getting sent to the hospital, winding up with two sets of X-rays, urine tests (to check for blood), and an ultrasound. 

Fortunately, no harm done beyond the rib.  But it's worth reminding everyone that having only one kidney can change the equation for responding to situations like this.

Stay healthy (and, especially when walking in the dark, try to watch out for roots on the ground),
    Snoopy

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Broken rib
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 10:47:43 PM »
     Yes, I think it is very wise to carefully check the remaining kidney after a fall like that. Play it safe.
    Fr. Pat

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Broken rib
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 07:35:48 AM »
Hi Snoopy,

Nice to see you post on the board. I always wonder how the veteran donors are doing.

All the best,

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional