| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Nine Years Post Donation  (Read 3949 times)

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
Nine Years Post Donation
« on: November 11, 2016, 07:36:37 AM »
Good Morning,

I always enjoy reading from veteran donors and now as I look at the calendar I can't believe I have joined that club. Tomorrow will be nine years since my donation on 11/12/07. A lot has happened. I am feeling well,  a little heavier and older (became a grandmother), sometimes more tired. But I am also working longer hours at a more stressful job. After my donation I went back to school to change careers within the health care system. Took me a few years but I graduated as a registered nurse with a Masters in Science in 2013 and have been working as a transplant nurse coordinator for stem cell transplant at a major teaching hospital in Baltimore. I love my job, and most of all the recipients, potential donors and donors and their families. I can understand now why things move exceedingly slowly but I try to remember always what it's like on the other side.

I work with families who have complex relationships, those who can't wait to donate, some who feel the obligation and duty, and those who decline. It is an honor and privilege to work with so many recipients and donors. It is quite humbling. Sometimes i share my story, if it is helpful to my patients, but most of the time, I am there to be part of their donation journey.

for the medical update, I had a nephrologist who I followed up with since my donation. Sadly, he went to become a hospitalist. Been trying to establish a relationship with a new doctor who "gets" LKD. My labs in the spring showed an elevated PTH, parathyroid hormone and low vitamin D. Started on vitamin D which corrected but the PTH is still high. Went to an endocrinologist who said wait and repeat or see a nephrolgist so I have an appointment in feb with a new one. The wait and see makes me nervous. That is how my brother ended up in kidney failure. Seems like some doctors like to repeat labs over and over until they get a number they like.

Otherwise, my blood pressure has been stable, no medication yet. i have gained quite a few pounds since the surgery, some from menopause, most probably from less exercise. I am busy with work, taking care of aging parents, moved them down from NY because my mom has Parkinsons and Lewy Body dementia. Kind of sucks the energy out of me watching her decline. no excuse though need to take better care of myself.

Will wait until Feb to see the nephrologist for repeat labs and see what she says.

My brother is doing well. I don't think he has had too many complications. our match was 6/6 which is helpful for him and his medication regimen. so all in all, things are good. We are very blessed.

thanks to all of you who listen and continue to advocate for living donors. And to all the real Veterans out there, thank you for your service.

All the best,
Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Nine Years Post Donation
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 10:30:14 AM »
Dear sherri,

Thank you for your service as a nurse!  And as a donor!   

I can understand your anxiety about irregular labs.  I have had some abnormal labs for several years that remain unresolved and undiagnosed.  I finally decided not to think about it anymore, since I'm feeling well. 

I know VitD deficiency can elevate PTH, so that's probably the reason for the "wait and see".  Was your serum calcium normal?

If you can gently increase exercise it might make you feel less stressed.  If you don't care for sherri, sherri will not be able to care to her parents and job.

I'm glad to hear your brother and recipient is doing well.  My dad and recipient who is a real Veteran as well has better kidney function than I do, at age 80, five and 1/2 years after transplant.  I'm so glad he's had these happy years. 

love, elephant

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 11:31:04 AM »
Congratulations Sherri! You are definitely a success story and an inspiration to all!

I know our 9 years was just up a couple weeks ago and hubby's annual visit was right on the anniversary day.  Husband seems to be doing exceedingly well - they lowered his blood work from monthly to every other month. Since he is on the lowest dose of anti rejection they can give, they can't lower any more, but did say he wouldn't have to come back for two years for a visit (we don't feel comfortable with that, so once a year it will be).

Sure hoping your new nephrologist is a good one, and one that you feel comfortable and confident with and that the labs are an anomaly. Sorry to hear about your parents. That definitely has to be a weight on your shoulders.

Hang in there, Sherri. You are doing great and always good to see you post!!
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline donor99

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 09:30:15 PM »
Hey I just had my 17 year follow
 up my creat is 1.1...feeling great

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional