| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: 5 Year Anniversary  (Read 4342 times)

Offline jatopa

• Top 25 Poster!
5 Year Anniversary
« on: December 12, 2016, 01:23:27 PM »
I just wanted to check in with the group and share how happy I am 5 years down the road from donation.  My brother, now 70, and myself, now 66, are both doing well.  Giving my brother a kidney remains one of the best things I have done in my lifetime.  It has extended his life, improved his health, and given me a brother who is no longer grumpy (as living with renal failure can do to the best of us).  The donation continues to give me a sense of peace about life.  Our surgery was on Dec 14, 2011.  Before surgery, he was on a restricted renal diet.  On Christmas Eve, we sat down to a meal of prime rib, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes and all kinds of food previously restricted or forbidden.  It was quite the celebration!   One month after surgery, I was on a plane to Paris from the West coast USA to celebrate with friends, including a dear friend who had a kidney removed for cancer a few years prior to my voluntary nephrectomy. 
This experience has brought my brother and I closer than I ever imagined. 
Wishing all of you the best in the holiday season.  Merry Christmas to all!

Offline Michael

• Founder of LDO
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online
Re: 5 Year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 09:22:32 PM »
I'm happy to hear all is well. Merry Christmas to you, too!
Michael
Living Donors Online
Our mission: to improve the living donation experience

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 01:17:54 AM »
     Thanks for the nice report. I likewise am doing fine at age 71, 15 years after kidney donation.
     Perhaps you would like to post your story at the FaceBook page of Living Donors on Line as well? There are lots of folks there who are preparing for donation surgery and like to read the good and bad experiences of past donors. Many check in there but not here.
   Fr. Pat

Offline jatopa

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 02:22:49 PM »
Hi Father Pat,
I have appreciated all of your posts over the years.  You have been such a kind, peaceful presence here in this space. 
I was sad to see that the action had moved to Facebook.  I cherish my anonymity and am reluctant to join the FB group. I am on FB, but I rarely post anything that is personal.   If you would like to copy my post on this thread and re-post it on FB, that would be fine with me, as long as I am not identified as jatopa, much less my real name. 
So glad you are thriving at 71, Father Pat!   You are an inspiration!

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 03:27:02 AM »
Dear "Jatopa",
     Hi. I have put your message on the Facebook page of Living Donors on Line, without your name in any way.
     Yes, I also was sort of disappointed when traffic decreased so much here and went to faceBook. But now I see how MANY people check in there! When someone posts a question or concern there are sometimes a dozen or more responses right away. So it certainly stimulates communication about living donation. I'm sure they will enjoy reading your story.
    Fr. Pat

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 07:05:07 PM »
My 5 year anniversary will be 1/31/17.  My husband/ recipient and I are both doing very well, with no complications.  We live a full life and I'm hoping for the transplant to last many more years.   He is now 52 and I am 51.  I have no regrets about donating whatsoever.  It really is amazing.

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 04:11:11 PM »
Congratulations on the anniversary jatopa!  Glad to hear you are doing well also, CK!
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 07:13:29 PM »
Congratulations to all the "veteran" donors. so nice to hear from from some of the familiar names.

I do wish there was more traffic on this site. I am not a fan of facebook even though it is a popular social media site. I always found this forum much more respectful and thoughtful.

wishing everyone a happy and healthy holiday season!

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved