| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: New Year's resolutions, anyone?  (Read 4906 times)

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
New Year's resolutions, anyone?
« on: December 28, 2016, 05:39:38 PM »
Sharing here seems safer than Facebook, and more likely I'll follow through if y'all are the supportive folks I know you to be.

1) Return to doing monthly LDO anniversary updates. Nobody else is, and it's too loved and useful to keep letting go.

2) While BMI is problematic, waist-hip ratio is well grounded in science. Get serious. Get back to below 0.9 by year's end. Achievable! By June 30th! Much more difficult!

3) Decline all but one invitation to another long term, high time consuming, volunteer position this year. One. Let all the current ones lapse, without replacement, as they're up.

4) Three is more than usual, and all of them are safely shareable in public, also unusual. (One year I aspired to publish poetry! Even now it's hard to admit to y'all...)
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: New Year's resolutions, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 06:39:00 PM »
Good luck with the resolutions. Recognizing and acknowledging changes needed, is a great step ( I think I'm still in denial for some things).

you are a determined guy. good luck.

wishing you a happy and healthy 2017.

Sherri

Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 03:08:43 AM »
 Dear Clark,
     Nice resolutions! Go for it! And also go ahead and write some poetry. Perhaps add an "organ donation poems" section to the site?
     Here in Japan 2017 will be the "Year of the Rooster", although cultural changes are now making it more the "Year of the Chicken" as most New Year cards now feature hens and chicks more than just roosters. So perhaps "Crow more about organ donation in 2017!" might be a good resolution as well?
    Fr. Pat

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 03:10:16 PM »
Dear Clark,

Re:  your resolutions
1.  That's a good idea, if you follow thru on #3 you will probably have time
2.  Consider yourself now accountable to us on this item.  Being held accountable for promises is supposed to help!
     I've a similar one, see below.
3.  Sometimes you need to take care of yourself to be of better service to others.

My resolutions:

1.  Fit into my winter pants before winter is over.  I was hoping to make it by Christmas, but only got about 1/2-way!
2.  Remorseless cleaning of garage.  Donate salvageable stuff to Habitat Re-Store.

Love, elephant

Offline Michael

• Founder of LDO
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 11:19:52 AM »
John, if it's helpful, maybe you don't need to post the calendar every month. Maybe quarterly?

As for my resolutions, besides the usual weight loss/exercise commitment (ha):

1. Learn Wordpress. We've made LDO mobile-friendly by migrating to Wordpress and I don't know it at all. Yikes!

2. More time for books, music, and movies, and less for mindless wandering through the Internet.
Michael
Living Donors Online
Our mission: to improve the living donation experience

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 11:39:52 AM »
Wow! Great resolutions and well thought out!

Mine is similar to some of the others - age does not seem to be kind to most of us! I have gained back some of the weight I lost to donate (thank goodness not all of it!) and I am determined to get back in the gym and watch what I eat.

Second would be to enjoy life more and not worry about work so much.
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 04:25:57 PM »
As you wish! "Organ Donation Poems", a members only forum, is now available. Enjoy!
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 02:33:37 AM »
Dear "Elephant",
      With regard to your admirable resolution to clear out the garage, I would like to recommend an excellent Japanese book which ended up becoming a best-seller in English: Marie Kondo's: "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up". Great tips and motivations. The one I have found most helpful is her idea that when you are having trouble throwing something away just hold it in your hands, remember how well it has served you, remember happy memories attached to it, and then say "Thank you! You've been great. But Your time has come to move on. Good-by and thank you again!" Works wonders. I suppose we donors could say the same to out departing kidney: "Thanks for great service, and it has been a pleasure having you, but someone else needs you more now. Have a great trip!"
    Fr. Pat

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 12:18:43 PM »
I suppose we donors could say the same to out departing kidney: "Thanks for great service, and it has been a pleasure having you, but someone else needs you more now. Have a great trip!"
    Fr. Pat

That's a fine way to put it.  Mine only had to travel to the next operating room, and still lives in town.

If you want hammers, screwdrivers, doorknobs,  or old cans of paint, come on over!  It's not sentimentality, just lack of motivation to clean up the garage.  I hope some of it can be donated.  I *love* donating things.  I bet everyone here does!

love, elephant

Offline RKEM

• Top 50 poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 09:18:33 AM »
1) Learn to blacksmith (waiting for the snow to meld to fire up the forge)
2) Learn to MIG weld
3) Lose those 5 pounds I had lost post surgery but which crept back up.

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved