| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Laparoscopic gas pain  (Read 3653 times)

Offline deidre

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
Laparoscopic gas pain
« on: February 08, 2017, 02:47:34 PM »
Hi everyone! I donated my left kidney to a family friend 5 days ago. I get up and walk 10 minutes each hour and rest in between. That is the only activity I have done. I really haven't had much pain but the gas is irritating my ribs/ diaphragm. It gurgles every time I move, keeps me from drawing deep breaths and I feel too full to eat.  Any way to get this to dissipate?
Thanks in advance for any advice!
Deidre

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Laparoscopic gas pain
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 04:19:11 PM »
I know what you mean. It was funny, when I would run my fingers over my midsection, it almost felt like the popping sound & feeling you get when you pop bubble wrap! They did say walking was one of the main ways to get rid of gas. It seemed like it took about a week or so before I really felt that some of the swelling had gone down. If it bothers you too much, you might give your center a call to see if they have any advice.
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 06:39:27 PM »
     I donated by the open surgery, so there was no gas. But there WAS lots of bubbling and gurgling. When the kidney is removed, all the neighboring organs have to shift around until they find comfortable positions and fill in the gap left by the removed kidney. Meanwhile the body fills the spaces with fluids for protection. Takes a while for everything to settle into new locations. (In case you haven't guessed, this is not a highly scientific description.) I found that bending and stretching exercsies were very helpful. Especailly good was just stretching out on my back on the floor with arms and legs stretched out, then moving onto each side for a while. Felt like a water cooler was bubbling inside me, if not a minor volcano.
     Regarding pain, a helpful doctor/donor at this side explained that if CO2 gas is used in the lap method the gas can interact with body fluids to form a mild carbolic acid. This mild acid can irritate nerves, giving the sensation of pain even in areas (shoulders, etc.) not touched by the surgery. Even with the gas gone this acid and its irritation may take a little while to fade away.
  best wishes,
       Fr. Pat

Offline deidre

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 06:35:38 AM »
Thanks! I started the stretches and kept walking. It's getting better slowly. Some smooth move tea helped too!  :o

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional