| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Kidney function after donation  (Read 4511 times)

Offline connor2112

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
Kidney function after donation
« on: January 11, 2017, 05:52:59 PM »
Hey,

I just saw the surgeon for my follow-up, 5 weeks post-op.  He didn't give me any concrete numbers but he said that the function of my remaining kidney has not improved at all... it still remains at about 50% functionality.  He said we will run more urine tests in 6 months time to make sure that functionality is not decreasing, but I wanted this forum's input.

Is this normal?  Cause for concern?

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Kidney function after donation
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 08:23:43 PM »
I'm not sure what he means by that - if you only have one kidney, seems to me it would only work at 50%, right?

My doctor has always measured my kidney function by creatinine - it was a bit higher than normal after donation but is now at .9, which is normal.  "Function" as a percentage is not so much the issue, as I understand it, but how well it works to do its job.

Sounds to me like you need more information on what he means.  I do know that the remaining kidney grows and eventually compensates somewhat for the lost kidney but you are never back to 100%.  Is that what he means?

Offline connor2112

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 09:28:15 PM »
As far as I understand... the remaining kidney is supposed to move up to around 60-70% functionality to compensate for the missing one.  This percentage is determined by the creatinine output in some way, so I believe it is related and that my remaining kidney is not dealing with creatinine as it should I believe .  Is this normal for 5 weeks post op? Something to worry about?

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 02:31:51 AM »
It took a year or two for me before my creatinine levels dropped to about 1.2 or 1.3, where it has stayed for the past 12 years. My doctors are nor concerned about it.
     Talking about percentages regarding kidney function can be confusing. If I understand it right, when we have 2 kidneys neither of them is functioning at 100% of their capacity. Meaning that each kidney has reserve capacity that it is not using. When one is removed, the remaining one has to start using some or all of its reserve capacity. Most people think this is fine, but some warn that this may put a strain on the remaining kidney that may cause problems years down the line.
     I'm not a medical professional, but this is what I have picked up.

Offline Paparafa

• Top 100 Poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 06:00:25 AM »
I agree...find out what your creatinine level is at...my level was at or below 1.0 before donating and my "new normal" appears to be 1.5...my doctor is not concerned.
If you are drinking enough water and your kidney is producing enough urine that should be a good indication but either way you need to have a good discussion with your doctor.
Good luck

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 07:37:14 PM »
Five weeks out, my creatinine was higher than it is now - just had it tested again and it's hanging steady at .9 - 5 years post donation.

Don't worry too much.  My BP was higher for a few months after donation and my last reading was 110/64.   Things settle down after a while - your one kidney takes over some function from the old one.

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved