| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Wanting to donate/Worried about lost wages  (Read 11452 times)

alloranoel

Wanting to donate/Worried about lost wages
« on: August 04, 2011, 09:56:25 PM »
I am at a loss here.  My friend who I love dearly, needs a kidney, and I would love nothing more then to give her one of mine, as I am fit as a fiddle.  I know her insurance and everything would pay for the surgery, and all that, but my only issue is that I would have to be out of work for anywhere from 3 weeks, to a month a half.  I cannot afford this, as I cannot afford to lose my home, car, and let alone let my son starve.  Is there anyway I could get temporary disability, or some kind of compensation for my time off work?  That is the ONLY thing stopping me from donating to her, (and she is VERY deserving, let me assure you).  All I want is to help someone who truly deserves it, and I am being stopped by financial issues, and it's killing me.   :'(  Is there any way I could get temporary disability or something for a maximum of two months?  Thank you for any help you can offer, as this is VERY important to me.

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Non-directed donation, Oct., 2011
Re: Wanting to donate/Worried about lost wages
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 01:44:09 AM »
  I'm sure you've thought of this already, but if your finances are the problem, perhaps your intended recipient could help out?  For all I know, she's in worse financial shape than you are.  But, considering what she stands to gain, and what you are kind enough to offer to do, it's not so wild an idea.  Perhaps her other friends and loved ones are unable or unwilling to donate their own kidney, but would be happy to chip in to help you do it (parting with cash is not the same as parting with a kidney). 
  All of this is beyond whatever help (official or otherwise) might be available in your area for kidney donors.  About temporary disability, I think that in my own area (I'm not in the U.S.), my transplant center gives a letter to employers good for a certain amount of time off from work, with pay. 
  Maybe talk to the social worker at the transplant center? 
  If you're not self-employed, perhaps your employer might be willing to help out somehow, perhaps in exchange for some really, really good publicity?  :)
  In any case, good luck!  Snoopy

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 05:04:17 PM »
Best wishes as you struggle with this challenge on top of the path to donation. The National Living Donor Assistance Center is a not-for-profit set up by the American Society of Transplant Surgeons to disburse funds provided by the U.S. government and other volunteer donors.  Perhaps you qualify or their help.  http://www.livingdonorassistance.org/potentialdonors/eligibilityguidelines.aspx
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 07:18:00 PM »
     It is also legal in the U.S. for your recipient, family, or you yourself to have fund-raisers to raise money to reemburse you for lost wages and other donation-related expenses. It is illegal for you to profit from the transplant, but you may be reembursed for all expenses and lost wages.
   Fr. Pat

Offline Michael

• Founder of LDO
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 09:12:41 AM »
Here's a link to an online spreadsheet LDO members collectively created to help potential donors estimate their financial needs (you don't need Excel): https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AvtwuW2PRLgMdHZqTVRzcVVDUUZkeF9tNy1yQUVSU2c&hl=en&authkey=CJm6zrEP#gid=0

By the way, it's unlikely you would be able to find individual short-term disability insurance. However, you may have the benefit of time: many potential recipients are on dialysis and could delay a transplant. Not an ideal situation to be sure, but at the very least you would have some time to start a savings program now to cover future lost wages and other expenses, if you can't find another source of income.
Michael
Living Donors Online
Our mission: to improve the living donation experience

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 09:24:32 PM »
You don't mention if you're self-employed or if you've discussed this with your employer, but here's some basic info:

Short Term Disability Basics
Understanding short-term disability policies
From Susan Nathan, former About.com Guide
Filed In:Ancillary Insurance

What happens if you have an employee that is suddenly injured off the job? They want to know they'll still have income while off the job. That’s when a short term disability program is able to help.
Short term disability is a type of insurance that pays a percentage of an employee’s salary for a specified amount of time, if they are ill or injured, and cannot perform the duties of their job. Coverage usually starts anywhere from one to 14 days after your employee suffers a condition that leaves them unable to work. Many times, employees are required to use sick days before short term disability kicks in, if it’s an illness that keeps them out of work for an extended period of time. This is why there is usually a different policy for short term disability for sickness versus an injury.

Who Pays for Short Term Disability Coverage?

A short term disability policy can be an employer or employee paid benefit. Generally, though, short term disability coverage is employer-paid. Companies do have a choice of having employees pay for coverage, with certain tax implications.
Group coverage for short term disability can be attained in the following ways:

Contract agreement through an insurer that covers disability.
Through a self-funded plan set aside by the employer directly.

Coverage Terms

As an employer, you can create a policy dictating that employees use sick days before going on short term disability for an extended illness. You can also require documentation from a doctor to prove an illness or injury.
Different short term disability plans dictate different terms for qualifications. The main terms are listed below:

Employees need to work for the employer for a certain amount of time before coverage kicks in.
Employees need to work full-time, usually 30 hours or more a week.
The following are part of what a short term disability plan benefits package may include:
Percentage of weekly salary paid out (typically between 50% - 70% of weekly salary).
Duration of short term disability benefits (typically between 10 to 26 weeks).
Maximum amount of time covered under this disability program.
It’s also important to know the rules of the states where you have employees. While short term disability is not a requirement in most places, some states such as Hawaii, New Jersey, New York and Rhode Island mandate that short term disability benefits are provided for up to 26 weeks.
You may also want a long term disability program in place once an employee’s short term disability ends. If an employee is still out of work due to illness or injury, a long term disability can help even further.

From: http://employeebenefits.about.com/od/ancillaryinsurance/a/STDBascis.htm
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
  • You may never know the burdens others carry
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 10:06:59 PM »
Some hospital systems have assistance grants available for just such "short-term" financial hardships as they recognize there is likely to be a financial strain associated with living donation for many people.  You could approach the transplant program and request information regarding any grant/assistance programs they have. Most of these grants are not large $1,000.00 - a couple of thousand, but this may be adequate to defray associated lost wages or to supplement money from fund-raising  by your potential recipient or their representatives.   Good luck and God Bless you for wanting to provide such a special and life-giving gift.   

With much admiration for your courage - Scott   8)
Scott

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 11:43:52 PM »
Dear "Alloranoel",
     I forgot to suggest that you check carefully with your employer about their policies. Some (few) generous companies give paid leave to organ donors (as do some State governments). Some (few) donors have reported that their employers did not have any special policies in place for employees who donte an organ because they had never faced that situation, but made up a generous leave policy once they were faced with a real donor. It might be worth asking.
     Fr. Pat

Offline PhilHoover

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 08:55:04 AM »
Find out as much as you can....beforehand....
Donated to a former college professor, October 28, 2009. Would do it again in a nanosecond.

Offline Prelude_Sarah

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 01:54:17 PM »
Following the surgery, I found myself in a very tough financial position (I developed an infection after the surgery which prolonged my return to work).  My big brother ended up starting a fundraiser for me, on www.gofundme.com.  This fundraiser was absolutely crucial to me getting through that time. 
Donated left kidney to younger sister on May 10th, 2011

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 05:07:35 PM »
I just posted this story on the news section

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/news/local_news/mom-loses-job-after-kidney-donation-0901211

You must really get everything in writing from the transplant center, from your doctors and from your place of employment. You can also get legal advice to see even if you have it in writing does that protect you.  Depending on where you work and in what capacity FMLA and/or disability may not apply to you. I donated to my brother and I did pray that nothing happened to me or my family members within that 12 month period because FMLA would be used up. I had no disability because I work less than full time. Fortunately, my husband is in a position to support our family even without my income no one would starve or our house wouldn't be taken away. But had he been the donor it would be a more precarious situation. There may be donors who are not able to return to their jobs post donation depending on their outcome and their type of job.Donors need to be eligible from a medical, psychological and financial aspect in order to undergo this elective surgery. Not impossible but definitely takes more planning and more help from the recipient's family and friends if possible.

Good luck.

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved