| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Can I block my spouse's kidney donation  (Read 5635 times)

Offline aker

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
Can I block my spouse's kidney donation
« on: March 03, 2017, 01:34:25 AM »
How does one do this. We've had counseling and simply disagree on the wisdom of it. Please advise if you have legal info.

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
Re: Can I block my spouse's kidney donation
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 09:30:45 AM »
What legal system? Is (s)he competent to make her own decisions?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 08:23:51 AM by Clark »
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 08:52:45 PM »
If he/she's an adult she can make his/her own decisions.  Would you want her/him to "block" you from doing something just because he/she "didn't agree on the wisdom" of it?  Yikes.  Sorry, unless he/she is declared legally incompetent you have no right to stop the donation.  Personally, that would be a deal breaker for me, if my spouse tried to "block" me from doing something I wanted to do because he didn't agree with it.

I understand you may be anxious about it, but your spouse is an adult (I assume) and has the right to his/her own decisions.

Offline Paparafa

• Top 100 Poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 06:09:24 PM »
You two really need to sit down and have a heart to heart discussion.
My wife was very much against this...she knew how much this meant to me but she was still concerned and felt that her "opinion did not matter..."  I finally sat down with her and stated that I wanted to do this but I needed her support...I also needed her to know that all she had to say was "I do not want you to do it" and I would stop the process right then and there--the doctors give you a way out up until the last evaluation. 
I really hope you two work it out...he/she is about to give a lease on life to someone he/she obviously cares about...the decision alone is monumental...I cannot imagine myself going through it all by myself.
Best of luck...

Offline willow123

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 11:42:17 AM »
Since you haven't responded to the above posts, I am not sure if you are still checking these boards.  However, when I see posts about spouses, it really gets my blood boiling and I feel compelled to chime in.  Unlike most of the participants in this board, I am not a donor, but a spouse, and my husband for the past 15 years has been facing and preparing for a kidney donation to one of his siblings, all of whom have an inherited kidney disease (which he somehow escaped).  We are now going through the third iteration of this process and this time it is almost surely going forward this summer.  Not once has anyone at any of the various hospitals asked for my opinion or even to meet me, and certainly not for my consent.  I like to call myself the "disinterested standby spouse" since I have no official place in the process, the recipient is not me or anyone in my family,  and my role is to just stand idly by until I am called upon to play an important role in the recovery process.  It is very difficult not to feel resentful.

I suppose I could have consulted a marital lawyer and seen what my options were since his foremost legal obligation is to support our children.  I don't know what would have come of it in terms of stopping the donation but it almost would have certainly led to divorce, and not on amicable terms.

One of his siblings is on a paired exchange list with hundreds of people that has been run many times but his sibling is never a match due to a ridiculously high pra/hln count and she has been on dialysis for five years now.  So, since my husband is preparing to donate this summer to a different sibling, I offered to take his place on the paired list with the dialysis sibling.  It wouldn't matter that I didn't match with his sibling in a paired exchange chain.  And I offered sincerely, because frankly from the perspective of a donor I am not that worried about it, even after years of reading all the scanty research I could find on kidney donor outcomes.  But my husband was no no no absolutely not won't even discuss it.  Isn't that odd?  It highlighted to me just how different we feel when doing some risky versus watching someone we love do something risky.  No doubt there is a neurological explanation for this and different parts of the brain become activated, etc.  Nevertheless, there is still a certain amount of hypocrisy.  I feel strongly that if spouses don't get a legal vote and an official seat at the table, they should at least be entitled to a lot more empathy and consideration than they currently receive.

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 04:52:39 PM »
I'm confused - for most people, donor surgery involves some testing ahead of time, then a surgery and a few weeks of down time for recovery.  I was out of the hospital in 24 hours and back to work in 3 weeks (but it could have been 2) and have lived a normal life for the 5 years thereafter. There's very little risk involved, certainly less than he takes every day getting in his car and driving to work.  If he had an elective surgery he would take risks too.  He takes risks every time he gets up in the morning. We all do.

Why do you feel so strongly resentful that he wants to help his siblings?  Not trying to be rude, I really just don't get it. And if you want to donate, then donate - don't let him tell you that he won't allow it, it's not his call. 

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved