| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Gastric sleeve & kidney donation  (Read 3406 times)

Offline SoPogirl

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
Gastric sleeve & kidney donation
« on: March 15, 2017, 02:03:30 PM »
Has anyone had a gastric sleeve in order to meet BMI guidelines for a kidney donation...?

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Gastric sleeve & kidney donation
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 03:46:10 PM »
Dear SoPogirl,

I have never known anyone to do so, but have heard of people who lose weight to donate.  I'm always concerned about their long-term ability to maintain the lower weight with healthy diet and exercise.   Living with one kidney may be riskier for individuals who are more likely to develop obesity related health issues. 

Has the potential donor discussed this with the transplant team?  Other than weight, has the potential donor been evaluated and found to be suitable? 

Regardless of the possible donation, an overweight person would be well off to control their weight, to protect their own health in the future.

I'd encourage the potential donor to talk with the transplant team and with their own physician to discuss the best ways to manage weight.

Love, elephant

Offline feliciajoe2012

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
Re: Gastric sleeve & kidney donation
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 10:35:38 PM »
I did and it works wonders for me. They still struggle with my dry weight at dialysis and I usually get sick after dialysis.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional