| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Post Op pain  (Read 3641 times)

Offline TJ6872

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
Post Op pain
« on: March 22, 2017, 10:01:36 PM »
So, I donated through a paired donor matchup on 1/31/17 at Emory Transplant in ATL.  Recovery has been pretty mundane.  However, I'm feeling pain to the left and right of the major incision.  The incision itself is healed up fine and not tender/painful to the touch.  I think the pain is just a normal part of the recovery of the abdominal wall, but would like to know if anyone else has experienced this?  It usually occurs when sneezing/coughing, rolling over in bed...or doing my normal daily activities which require a lot of bending/stooping/stretching/reaching.  Again, utilizing those muscles.  Only other pain I have is what I would call a phantom pain where the kidney was removed...a dull ache.  I think I'm just being an impatient patient and feel like I should be back to my normal self after 7 weeks.  I waited a full 4 weeks before I went back to my part time work.  I live in OK so not really wanting to drive to ATL for a re-check!

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Post Op pain
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 06:21:52 PM »
Do you have a local doctor you can check in with?  I didn't go back to the transplant center for anything other than the follow-ups they wanted for data purposes.  Everything after donation was taken care of by my primary care physician.

Personally, I'd have it checked out - can't hurt.  Not to say it sounds terrible to me, but if it concerns you, have it looked at.

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 05:05:35 PM »
Dear TJ,

Congratulations on a successful donation.  Hooray!

I was aware of the 'kidney hole' for quite a while.  Sometimes I felt like my insides were shifting around.  Which I suppose they were...  Anyway it was more an odd sensation than actual pain, and eventually it vanished.

Love, elephant

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 04:10:16 AM »
I had the single big open cut along the flank, but I found that self-massage of the scar area seemed to help. Also I followed my surgeons advice and di a lot of gentle bending and stretching exercises. But if the pain persists or is bothersome don't be shy about having it checked. Sometimes something goes wrong with the surgery or healing and may be corrected.
   Fr. Pat

Offline Paparafa

• Top 100 Poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 05:59:33 PM »
TJ,
first of all...thank you for your sacrifice! 
I would not worry...Your condition pretty much described what myself and probably many others felt at this point of your recovery.  I myself took 6 weeks before I went back to work and even then felt very tired at the end of the day.  The numbness, itching, tender, dull pain, etc. feelings you are describing seem to be normal.  Please do not overdo it though.  The key to your recovery will be to keep yourself hydrated and to keep an eye on your creatinine level as well as your blood pressure.  This should be done through the transplant center and/or your physician and you do not need to worry about traveling back to ATL.  I donated in Utah and live in Vermont...no sweat.
You should be able to start doing more and more normal things as time progresses...it will come don't worry about it.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional