| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Need some insight please  (Read 3378 times)

Offline slr92

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
Need some insight please
« on: March 30, 2017, 09:47:34 AM »
Is it possible to be a living liver donor, but also be part of the transplant recipient train? What would that process even look like?

I am Oneg and have only one kidney (was born without it), and would be willing to be involved in an exchange, but everything i am looking at doesn't talk or reference that.

I am 25 years old and would be able to donate immediately and would be able to wait until fully healed for the surgery that would give me an Oneg kidney. Are there organizations that could set this up?  I kind of feel like doing something like this would help me in the future, it gives me so much anxiety that just because of my blood type, if i ever got sick in the future and needed a kidney, that I might be out of luck.

Like the title said, im just looking for some insight, it's been on my mind a lot.

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Need some insight please
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 09:21:04 PM »
     Is your one kidney now insufficient? I have read that many people with only one kidney get along fine? If the doctors determine that you are in need on a kidney transplant you would be out on the list of those waiting for a kidney from a deceased donor. Are you now on the waiting list?
    Fr. Pat

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 08:12:31 PM »
I'm confused - are you in need of a kidney now? Or just assuming you will be in the future because you only have 1?

O - is the universal donor, and more rare due to the RH -, but there's no reason to think you won't be able to get a donation if needed.  I am A - and donated to my O + husband, so in some cases, A can also donate to O.  Do you have family that might donate to you if needed in the future?  My husband was also worried that because he's O, he would have a hard time getting a transplant, but as it turned out, I have the rare A2 blood type and could donate to him - we could never have known or planned for that.  I had no idea that there were even sub-types of A or that they can donate to O.

Anyway, the point of all that is to say that you never know what will happen, but I don't know about a liver donation chain that leads to being a kidney recipient.

Offline donor99

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 07:45:20 AM »
If you donate a lobe of your liver, in the future if you needed a kidney transplant you would receive extra points on the kidney list, prior living donors who need a kidney transplant have a wait of a few months versus years unless they are sensitized (this policy applies to all living donors, not just kidney donors)

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional