| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: HbA1c Explained  (Read 2575 times)

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
HbA1c Explained
« on: April 08, 2017, 10:05:02 PM »
      Some years after my kidney donation a doctor noted that my HbA1c was high, in the "pre-diabetes" range, and that I should keep an eye on it. He was not sure if this was my "new normal" as a kidney donor or not. Now when I get a check-up I do pay attention to this number, but honestly I did not really understand what it was! But by chance I saw the below article in the English-language national newspaper here in Japan which really cleared things up for me. So in case any other donors would find this useful, I post the article below.

"Yomiuri Shinbun", Japan: Hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c) shows the state of glucose metabolism, a main indicator of diabetes. The national government (Japan) has set a standard HbA1c value of 5.5 percent or under to prevent the onset of diabetes. Those with a value of 6.5 percent or higher are diagnosed as having diabetes.
     Red blood cells contain hemoglobin, and some hemoglobin binds to glucose to become glycohemoglobin. HbA1c is a kind of glycohemoglobin and the amount of HbA1c increases in conjunction with rises in the daily average of blood sugar levels. Thus, HbA1c is considered a barometer for blood sugar control.
     Glucose metabolism can also be checked by looking at the blood sugar level. Examinees skip breakfast on the day of a medical checkup for blood sampling to measure fasting blood sugar levels. However, the figure varies depending on the last thing examinees eat before the checkup, as well as how much time has passed since eating.
     HbA1c, however, indicates what blood sugar levels were like for the previous month or two, and is thus helpful in figuring out whether levels are chronically high.
     "HbA1c is a mirror that reflects one's life-style," Noguchi said.
     "Even if the value is within the standard level, if it has worsened since the previous test, people are advised to review whether their life-style has changed, such as consuming too many sweets or a lack of exercise."

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved