| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Where is your main incision?  (Read 19089 times)

Offline twinkie

• Top 100 Poster!
Where is your main incision?
« on: August 06, 2011, 04:18:45 PM »
I was just curious if you think that your recovery time is based upon where your main incision was done?  My incision is located right above my navel, approx. 3 to 4 inches.  I am not in my 8th week and I am still very limited on some of my activities, because I am listening to my body.  I have a constant burning sensation behind the incision, which I am sure is just the nerves healing.  I am aching to run and counting down to get out there without any pains behind the stomach muscle wall...   This might be a silly question but I was just curious... 
Love this journey that I am on!!!!!  Update on Daddy Chuck, my kidney is working Fabulous for him and he is doing AWESOME!!  Now that puts a smile on my face.....

Hugs to you all and God bless!!   Lisa/Twinkie..

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
  • You may never know the burdens others carry
Re: Where is your main incision?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 10:20:21 PM »
Hey Lisa - so happy to hear you and Chuck are doing so well.  It was several weeks before I was able to really get back into my work outs but I, as you, listened to what my body would allow me to do.  Consistency is more important than intensity.  Slowly work your way back into it.  My mantra was my telling myself I would work through the pain, it would eventually diminish and each benchmark I made, I wanted to see if I could set and achieve a new one.  Finally, I was well past my pre-op level of fitness and endurance.  About 12 weeks ago (9 months post-op) I began running - couldn't finish a mile without stopping to walk at first.  Now I run 3-6 miles per day and working to be at about 8-10 once/week by end of fall.  You'll get there, just be smart about it.  My incision is the same location and size.  I started doing sit-ups and then incline sit-ups daily, before I know it, my incision pain was diminishing as my ab muscles healed and strengthened.  You'll get there my friend.

Best of luck and keep us up on your progress - and the journey is incredible.    Scott   8)
Scott

Offline twinkie

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 10:28:26 PM »
Thank you Scott for your encouraging words.  I am still thinking about the post I just read of yours and now my question isn't so important.  Please know that you and your recipient are on my heart and mind!!  Lisa/ Twinkie

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 09:29:14 AM »
Thanks Lisa.  Health questions are always important.  Hope you are thinking about running with us next summer - if you haven't check out our facebook site    Grandma's LDO runners.  Take care my friend     

Scott   8)
Scott

Offline lawphi

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 11:35:48 AM »
I have a c-section style incision.  It aches from time to time, but I have started to massage it to help with loosen the scar tissue.

Scar tissue will pull and tug from moving around.  It gradually will loosen up and the pain will decrease. 

Bridge Paired Exchange donor on behalf of my husband (re-transplant) at Johns Hopkins.

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 02:00:35 PM »
Mine was about a 3 inch incision immediately to the left of my belly button. The surgeon said that would cut less muscle, and rather more into the tough fascia tissue. I had two port holes to the left side of my abdomen. I don't remember any burning sensation, Lisa, but I do remember that it took a while before I didn't feel a deep "pulling" sensation when I moved a certain way. Don't hesitate to check with your transplant team if it bothers you. Hope you are doing well!
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline dodger

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 09:37:38 PM »
Mine is a C-section, 3 inches wide.  Scar on the right side is flat but pink yet, 5 months, but the left side is a little raised and sensitive, including below the surface.  I have been massaging lotion on it and that seems to help. Really just started this in the last month.
I have a belly button scar where the main port went in, and three other smaller scars.  One far left side, one under the left rib cage, and the third, 4 inches left and down from my bellybutton.
The far left one had a spit stitch and still feels like there is something in there.  It is right at the waist line.  I'll have it looked at at the 6 month check up.
Donated 3/10/11 to my niece at UW Madison, Wi

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 10:56:24 PM »
About two years ago, my wife had surgery to remove a growth from the bone in her left ankle.  She came out of it all with a vertical scar about five inches long and quite bumpy.  Her surgeon told her to massage the incision point with vitamin E oil and that would minimize the scar.  I didn't try it on my laparoscopy scars but I guess it helped hers a bit.  Something worth thinking about.

Scott    8)
Scott

Offline Jewels

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 02:58:50 PM »
It's interesting to me how many different incision "styles" there are out there for a kidney donation!  Mine starts at my belly button and goes down vertically about 4-5 inches.  I also have 2 spots for the lap instruments (it was hand-assisted so only 2 ports.)  At just over 3 weeks post-surgery it is healing really well.  Just a little tender and occasional pulling/burning but not much discomfort any longer.  Still a little bloated right on my belly...looking forward to that going down!
Living Kidney Donor, to my adopted sister
July 15, 2011

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 07:43:36 PM »
Wow - this is an interesting question. I did not know there were so many different places for the main incision. Mine is horizontal about an inch above the pubic bone. It is a bit over 3 inches long. It looks very similar to my sister-in-laws C-Section scar.

Linda
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

APV

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 12:59:13 PM »
Mine is a C-section type of incision too.  I also have 4 small spots where they put  the lap instruments on my right  side (they took my right kidney).  My abdomen is still a little swollen and tender 8 weeks post-surgery.  My weight has remained the same, but my clothes don't fit well because of the swelling.  Every week i do notice that my discomfort and swelling is going down.  I do daily brisk walking, but still not my usual running.  We'll get there Lisa!  :)

Hugs,
Angelica

famoran

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 01:28:34 PM »
Mine is about 3 inches long and right below my bikini line.

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 07:38:59 PM »
For an interesting article: "Scar Massage- How to Promote Healing" for donors and recipients, go to www.kidney.org and type "scar massage" in the "search" box.
    Fr. Pat

Offline treehugger

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 02:46:32 PM »
Mine is a C-section type of incision too.  I also have 4 small spots where they put  the lap instruments on my right  side (they took my right kidney).  My abdomen is still a little swollen and tender 8 weeks post-surgery. 

I have the same incisions (we donated at the same hospital), except my small ones are on my left. See the info on scar massage posted below. Very helpful for comfortable healing, especially for the larger incision site.

Kara
Donated left kidney to my husband via paired exchange on 12/17/09.

Offline poodles

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2011, 08:31:02 AM »
Actually went & measured my main incision after reading this . It is 9 1/2 inches long, starts low down in the hair & goes diagonally up & over the crest of my hip bone. It hardly bulges at all now. There are two other scars about an inch each, one beside my navel, that has the most internal scaring a huge mass & the second just below my ribs at the front that I've hardly noticed. 

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional