| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Where is your main incision?  (Read 19026 times)

mxprincess

Re: Where is your main incision?
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2011, 05:41:59 PM »
As I read these posts, it made me wonder about my emergecy c-section I had 9 years ago. Do you think that will effect the doctors decison on choosing if I am a good candidate to be a donor? (probably a stupid question.. :-[)

Offline upnover

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2011, 12:13:23 AM »
This is an intersting thread. I had the laproscopic procedure. The main incision is down very low and on my left side just above the crease where my left leg would bend. 2 small incisions above that. I attribute my rapid recovery to the fact that the incision is so low and left. The only time I really notice anything now (10 weeks post op) is when I am driving my excavator over rough terrain, it seems to bounce the innards up a bit! Other than that it is full steam ahead. I even had to use pick and shovel this past week on my house project.

Offline twinkie

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2011, 06:57:47 PM »
I am really amazed on how many different ways that the surgeons can remove your kidney.  My question to those that have had it removed like myself, right above the navel approx 3 to 4 inches, how long did it take for this burning/stinging sensation go away.  I am 9 weeks post op and there has not been a day that I haven't had pain behind or around the incision area.  The best way I can describe it would be like bee stings, especially when I am walking and trying to do a slow jog....  If I hold my stomach in really tight as I walk/jog it helps a lot but then I have to go home everyday and put ice on that area...  So do you think it is just the nerves healing and it will eventually go away?  Other than that, I am doing great... Thank you for all your responses, definitely very interesting...  Hugs and God Bless to you all!  Lisa/Twinkie

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
  • You may never know the burdens others carry
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2011, 10:56:32 PM »
Lisa,

I remember my main incision hurting a bit for the first 4-6 weeks, but I don't recall that type of pain (the bee sting feeling).  I do know that it was painful trying to get in and out of bed (awkward mostly I guess).  I'm guessing you're spot-on about the pain being from the nerves healing.  My surgeon said that abdominal incisions in individuals with more muscular core muscles, will generally take longer to heal.  I'm guessing you probably fall into that category.  Be patient, listen to your body and if it feels like your healing process isn't within the norm or you have more concerns, check with your coordinator and surgeons.  Good luck and I hope the pain begins to pass more quickly as you get back into your routines.  I hope you're able to run with us in Duluth next june in the Grandma's Half-Marathon to raise awareness for living organ donation.  Prayers coming your way for God's healing power. 

Scott  8) 
Scott

Offline bradmac

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2011, 11:02:53 AM »
I am really amazed on how many different ways that the surgeons can remove your kidney.  My question to those that have had it removed like myself, right above the navel approx 3 to 4 inches, how long did it take for this burning/stinging sensation go away.  I am 9 weeks post op and there has not been a day that I haven't had pain behind or around the incision area.  The best way I can describe it would be like bee stings, especially when I am walking and trying to do a slow jog....  If I hold my stomach in really tight as I walk/jog it helps a lot but then I have to go home everyday and put ice on that area...  So do you think it is just the nerves healing and it will eventually go away?  Other than that, I am doing great... Thank you for all your responses, definitely very interesting...  Hugs and God Bless to you all!  Lisa/Twinkie
My incision is the same as yours, approximately 3" vertical above my navel, and two port holes on the left side.

I didn't really have too much trouble with a burning sensation at the incision.  All of my discomfort (aside from actually being cut) felt like seriously pulled muscles in my stomach.  It took a while to get over that.  And I swear I could "feel" that there was more...space?...in my torso after the kidney was removed.  LOL!  I've put on a few pounds to fill up the void!

Offline PhilHoover

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2011, 01:21:09 AM »
about 3 inches just above the pubic hair line....I can barely see the scar now...22 months after the surgery.
Donated to a former college professor, October 28, 2009. Would do it again in a nanosecond.

Offline bergstromtori

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2011, 12:18:13 PM »
I don't think the emergency c-section will effects your chances of being a donor.  I had one emergency c-section and two planned ones and the doctors did not seem concerned.  Because I am having a tummy tuck at the same time I will be wearing a band around my waist.  It is supposed to provide support and help with swelling.  I was given one one these after my c-sections as well.  Do they have kidney donors wear them?  If not, why not?
The donation is being made because I wish that someone could have done something like this to save my moms life.  I am not going to let a disease take my friend from his three kids the way my mom was taken from me, my brother and sister.

Offline rdr321

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2011, 09:51:32 PM »
4" straight up from top of penis to bottom of belly button

Offline joshua_david

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2011, 01:36:27 PM »
I donated my 30% of my liver (my left lateral lobe) and have a large scar.  It comes across the right side on my stomach then loops up (just above my belly button) and then straight up to about my breast bone (right on the edge of the bottom of my bra)....It's kinda like a "J" but the bottom part of the "J" goes across my belly longer.  I love it!! :)
Tammy
Mother to Joshua: Joshua was diagnosed with Stage IV Hepatoblastoma at the age of 9 months (Feb.26/07).  After 5 rounds of chemo, I gave 30% of my liver to Joshua (Aug.2/07).
Joshua is 3 years cancer free and is a happy 5 year old.

Offline Prelude_Sarah

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2011, 01:52:05 PM »
I have two very small (about an inch) incisions on my left side, one near the bottom of my rib cage and one closer to my pelvic bone.  My main incision starts about 1.5 inches from the bottom of my belly button and continues up on the right side of it and past it for about one inch or so (about 3.5 - 4 inches in length total)
Donated left kidney to younger sister on May 10th, 2011

BEC

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2011, 08:56:44 PM »
I had a C-section in 2007 so they went through my previous incision. I felt fine by day 3. It was actually less painful than when I had my C-section.

Offline bergstromtori

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2011, 06:43:44 PM »
My incision was supposed to be just below my belly button with the two small incisions on the left for the laproscopic portion.  However, they cut through the stalk of my belly button and it was beyond repair.  The TT cut out the previous scars and now I have a hip to hip hand stitched bikini line incision that should fade so that that you won't be able to really see it and a brand new belly button that looks pretty good.  John, the recipient, has an L shaped scar or his lower right hand side of his abdomen.  He is super proud of it.
The donation is being made because I wish that someone could have done something like this to save my moms life.  I am not going to let a disease take my friend from his three kids the way my mom was taken from me, my brother and sister.

Offline Tom

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2011, 08:09:03 PM »
Mine is in the front, right at the belt line.  It's horizontal and about 4 1/2 inches wide.  I can hardly see it anymore.

Tom

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Non-directed donation, Oct., 2011
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2011, 11:50:17 AM »
   My main incision runs straight down from the navel about 3 inches.  Then I have four small "puncture wounds" from the laparoscopic part, on the left side of my chest/belly.  All were closed by surgical staples (which they used inside, also).   
   In fact, I just went back to the hospital today to have all my (outer) surgical staples removed.  For those who are wondering--it's true it isn't very painful, because the staples just go straight in, and are not folded over underneath, the way they are when we staple paper together.  So, they pretty much lift straight up and out, rather than tearing the skin.
   On the other hand, to be frank, it did hurt a little bit having them out. I'd been told so many times that it didn't hurt, that I was slightly taken by surprise.  And I don't really like that type of surprise.
  Still, it only took about two minutes, and definitely was not very painful.  Roughly like taking band-aids off a hairy part of the body, but not terrible.
  Wishing everybody else a fully painless experience,
   Snoopy

Offline treehugger

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2011, 03:02:58 PM »
All were closed by surgical staples (which they used inside, also). 

This is another interesting point of comparison between different transplant centers, I think.

All of my incisions were closed with surgical glue, and I am a huge fan of that stuff! No stitches or staples to worry about or remove later. No steri-strips hanging on too long and getting grungy, and then having to pull them off (I had these for a previous surgery). No worrying about keeping incisions dry; showering immediately is allowed.

Kara
Donated left kidney to my husband via paired exchange on 12/17/09.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved