| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Living Donor Liver Transplantation for Patients Older Than Age 70 Years: A Singl  (Read 2873 times)

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/ajt.14355/abstract

Living Donor Liver Transplantation for Patients Older Than Age 70 Years: A Single-Center Experience
J. H. Kwon, Y. I. Yoon, G. W. Song, K. H. Kim, D. B. Moon, D. H. Jung, G. C. Park, E. Y. Tak, V. A. Kirchner, S. G. Lee
Accepted manuscript online: 16 May 2017
DOI: 10.1111/ajt.14355

Abstract
Over the past two decades, the age of liver transplantation (LT) recipients has been increasing. We reviewed our experience with LT for patients aged 70 years or older (range: 70-78) and investigated the feasibility of performing LT, especially living donor LT (LDLT), for older patients. We retrospectively reviewed the medical records of 25 patients (15 LDLT recipients, 10 DDLT recipients), aged 70 years or older who underwent LT from January 2000 to April 2016. Their perioperative morbidity rate was 28.0% and the in-hospital mortality rate was 16.0%. This result was comparable to that of matched 60-year-old patients (n=73) (p=0.726, p=0.816). For the 70-year-old patient group, the 1- and 5-year patient survival rates were 84.0% and 69.8%, whereas the 1- and 5-year graft survival rates were 83.5% and 75.1%, respectively. Comparisons of patient and graft survival rates between matched patients 60 years old and 70 years old showed no statistically significant differences (p= 0.372, p = 0.183). Our experience suggests that patients 70 years or older should not be excluded from LT, or even LDLT, solely based on age and implies that careful selection of recipients and donors as well as meticulous surgical technique are necessary for successful results.

Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline lwaksman

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
HI,
I only see an abstract.  Is there an article here?

Thanks,
Laura

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional