| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Right Kidney 15% larger than left  (Read 3211 times)

Offline Hardingr81

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
Right Kidney 15% larger than left
« on: June 29, 2017, 11:05:00 AM »
I am in the process of donating a kidney. During testing they discovered my right kidney is 15% larger than my left. Therefore, to be absolutely sure they will be removing my right and opening me up versus laproscopic surgery, I am going on Monday to have a spilt renal function study done. Apparently, my anatomy is somewhat of an anomoly, being that I am a healthy 36 year old woman. Has anyone else encountered anything similar to my situation?

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Right Kidney 15% larger than left
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 09:53:19 AM »
the split renal function test will help determine individual kidney function (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6357589). just out of curiosity, how was it determined that your right kidney is 15% larger than your left? was it by ultrasound, CT or other anatomical test? if so, why would they take the better functioning kidney from a donor? Generally, if there is a discrepancy, the donor is left with the higher functioning kidney (first do no harm rule). some donors have multiple renal arteries and veins and the surgeon may not feel comfortable doing a nephrectomy in a healthy patient in that situation. Also, with open surgery there will be an increased risk to the donor. so there are a lot of questions.  hopefully you will get answers from the nephrologist and surgeon. you should also have a living donor advocate who can help answer questions so be sure to ask about that. you may also want to get a second opinion from an outside nephrologist not associated with the hospital just to be sure you are educated about all scenarios before signing consent.

would be interested to hear how all this plays out if you are willing to share. best of luck on the pre transplant testing. it can be a roller coaster ride.

Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional