| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Kidney Donor - How may weeks to wear a binder?  (Read 3741 times)

Offline redfin

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
Kidney Donor - How may weeks to wear a binder?
« on: June 25, 2017, 01:40:26 AM »
Hi All,

I just donated my kidney to my wife last 3 weeks ago. I just wanna ask, how long should I wear a binder?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 03:25:20 AM by redfin »

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Kidney Donor - How may weeks to wear a binder?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 03:31:41 AM »
     I would say just as long as you find it helpful. Many donors don't use them. I did not even know about them but discovered on my own that wrapping a woolen scarf around myself help avoid incision pains. I donated 15 years ago by the long open cut (10 inches) so it really helped. It's not a safety of healing issue, but just a comfort issue. You might want to post also at the FaceBook page of Living Donors on Line, as more donors check in there.
    Fr. Pat

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 07:24:20 AM »
Many years of health and happiness for you and your wife. 
Did you have conventional surgery?
I had laparoscopic surgery and never wore anything, but did hold a pillow to sneeze or cough for the first week.
Gentle stretching may help with pains. Eventually you can begin abdominal strengthening.  I think I started that after about a month .  Cautiously. 

Offline Paparafa

• Top 100 Poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 03:40:46 AM »
I wore it every day for the first month...after that I wore it every time I needed extra support and especially when I went out.  I may have worn it on and off for the next month...you will have a little discomfort "inside" of you for a number of weeks...the wrap helped me feel more secure.
It's been six months now and I feel normal again...I have also started to do sit ups and ab exercises. 
Good luck to you!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional