| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Transplant recipient Merritt gains ticket to "World's"  (Read 2587 times)

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Transplant recipient Merritt gains ticket to "World's"
« on: July 06, 2017, 07:17:59 AM »
Sacramento, CA. (AP)--- Aries Merritt will be making a return to the world championships. This time with a working kidney. The world-record holder finishes second behind Aleec Harris in the 110 meter hurdles at the U.S. championships Sunday. Merritt's place--as long as it was top three---didn't really matter. Merritt won bronze at the 2015 world championships in Beijing with his kidneys barely functioning because of a genetic disorder. He received the transplant from his sister less than a week later. Now healthy, he's ready to see what he can do with the worlds being held at the venue where he won an Olympic gold medal at the 2012 London Games. "I always felt I was healthy, all it would take is for me to put it to work", Merritt explained. "That's something I've been lacking." Harris proved untouchable as he finished in 13.24 seconds. Merritt was 0.07 seconds behind, and former U. of Oregon football player Devon Allen took third. Merritt, 31, knew he would be able to make a strong return to the hurdles===even if others didn't buy in. "I was told, 'you'll never come back to the sport with the medications you have to take that are lifelong,'" Merritt said. "it was somethingthat went in one ear and out the other."

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional