| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Type O recipient in matched pair program  (Read 3737 times)

Offline katznbooks

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
Type O recipient in matched pair program
« on: June 17, 2017, 06:33:12 PM »
I couldn't find this in a search. I just now signed up on this site. I'm testing as a donor for an incompatible recipient. He's Type O. Coordinator told me yesterday that there are very few O donors in the pairs program b/c they're the universal donor, so of course, why WOULD they be in the pairs program? They're compatible w/anybody, so no need for matched pairs. This sounds like very bad news for my friend. Any wisdom?

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Type O recipient in matched pair program
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 08:55:58 PM »
You might ask the coordinator if that hospital participates in the NATIONAL exchange program. If I am not mistaken, some hospitals may still just be looking for exchanges among patients at their hospital. You can look into the National program at www.kidneyregistry.org
    Fr. Pat

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 03:27:35 PM »
I remember when we did the initial bloodwork and review for the transplant, we were told my husband was AB.  They said that was the best place to be as anyone would match - A, AB, B or O - and was usually one of the quickest ones on the list. They did say one of the longest waits was O as only an O donor could match - go figure. Sounds like Fr Pat has given you good advice, so you may want to check out about an exchange program.
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 02:31:12 PM »
Just because someone has an O donor doesn't mean they will be a tissue match. Many people swap their O donors in the National Kidney Registry.
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 03:15:01 PM »
I am type A and my recipient was type O - people with "A2" type blood (about 15% of people with type A) can sometimes donate to types O and B (if the recipient has low enough levels of the antibodies that react to type A antigens- because A2 has low levels of those antigens).

I'm not sure all transplant centers do these type of donations, but we were told it was expected to work as well as any other donation.  So there is a possibility for you - a type A2 donor who can't donate to his/her own intended recipient.  A long shot for sure, though.  We were shocked that it worked out for us this way.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved