Living Donation Discussion and News > Living Donation Forum

Still Having Testicular Soreness/Pain After 4 Years Post-Op Kidney Donation

(1/3) > >>

renin:
I donated my left kidney via laparoscopic surgery to my Dad back in 2013 and immediately after surgery, I noticed my left testicle was in pain. Gradually it has gotten better and I don't notice it that much these days but if I touch or apply pressure to the testicle, the pain and soreness is still quite significant to the point of making me wince. I'm extremely worried that I will have this pain for the rest of my life.

I was told the vein that runs to the left testicle might have been affected during the surgery which may have something to do with this pain/soreness. Has anyone experienced this symptom, even after this long post-op?

Fr Pat:
I donated 15 years ago and did not have that pain at the time. But I sometimes get some pain or sensitivity to pain in the left testicle, but not often or constant. You might want to post your question also at the FaceBook page of Living Donors on Line and also the page of Living Kidney Donors as more donors check in there rather than here these days. there is also, I believe, a FaceBook page for "Kidney Donors with Complications" but I have never used it.
   Fr. Pat

Casey24:
I am just  2 years past my kidney donation. I noticed soon after the donation that my left testicle was slightly bigger than my right. Now 2 years later, it is about twice the size of my right testicle and very sensitive.  Just saw my doctor and it is likely a hydrocele(fluid building up in testicle) that will need to be drained in minor surgery.  Not something I was ever warned about. I do wish there was some current studies on this since this may not be reported as much as it happens.

Dracarys79:
I donated a kidney almost 4 years ago, and I have dealt with a swollen left testicle due to fluid build up. An examination by my doctor, including an MRI-like imaging, revealed just that. I was told not to worry about it, unless I want to have surgery to have the fluid drained.

Brian H:
It appears we are in the same boat.  I also donated my left kidney in 2013 and to this day I continue to have soreness in my left testicle (not fluid build-up nor swelling, just soreness).  Not all the time, mostly just notice it in bed, e.g. when I turn over.  It also doesn't help that my (thankfully small) dog seems to have a special internal radar system tuned to allow him to step directly on it a few times a week.  When I asked my surgeon at the 1-year post-op about it he said "we severed your gonadal vein; of course it's going to be sore".  I was told it wasn't unheard of to feel soreness for even a year or two after but it's now been five.  Guess this is here to stay.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version