| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: getting ready for surgery  (Read 3179 times)

Offline Delphi

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
getting ready for surgery
« on: September 13, 2017, 03:07:31 PM »
Hi !
I am getting ready to give my kidney in two weeks
It's an altruist non directed donation.
I am looking forward to it but as the same time feel nervous.
Do you have any advice ?

Thanks

Offline AdrianFR

• Top 100 Poster!
  • I'm new!
Re: getting ready for surgery
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 04:54:41 PM »
First of all, Thank you for donating.
I donated about 22 months ago to my co-workers Mom.

I would suggest that you be 100% sure of what you are doing and why you are doing it. This will give you inner peace. Once you have peace within yourself you can go into this with the appropriate mindset and you will be ready to deal the consequences of the surgery (surgery itself, recovery, pain, dealing with family, etc.).

I wish you the best of luck with your surgery and hope all goes well.

Offline Michael

• Founder of LDO
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 08:07:48 PM »
If you'd like to talk with a living donor who has gone through the process, including non-directed donation, and possibly at the same transplant center, request a living donor buddy: https://livingdonorsonline.org/living-donor-buddies/

You might also read through the experiences of other living donors to get a feel for what it's like - before and after: https://livingdonorsonline.org/donor-experiences/

Let us know what else would be helpful. And best of luck to you!
Michael
Living Donors Online
Our mission: to improve the living donation experience

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 12:44:34 AM »
Some donors like to ask a place of worship to keep them and the intended recipient in prayer.
Also here's a little suggestion that sometimes gets overlooked: post-op bloating may happen, so it is wise to bring larger-than-normal clothing, underwear and shoes for the trip home, as your regular ones may be very uncomfortable (or impossible) for a while.
Also it can be good to bring a cheap music player and earphones and some music or recorded books that you would find pleasant and peaceful. Hospitals can be noisy.
       You might be interested in the book "Flesh of Her Flesh" by Slavenka Drakulic. She received a kidney from a stranger and then set out to interview a number of non-directed donors. Available as an e-book at www.amazon.com. Not printed in book form in English yet.
     Best wishes and prayers. Please let us know later how things go.
                   Fr. Pat

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 07:28:09 AM »
Dear Delphi,

Hooray for you!

Bring a small firm pillow, you will use it to hold over your incision area when you sneeze or cough after surgery. 
Earplugs are helpful so you can get some sleep in the noisy hospital. 
Don't be a hero and leave the hospital before you are ready.  I should have stayed another night, but felt pushed to leave.
Pay all your bills, do the chores, and stock up on easy to digest foods beforehand.  You won't want to do this stuff for a while after.  Oh, get prunes.  They will be your friend for a while. 
Walking will make you feel better, so get up as soon as possible and start moving. 
Write back and let us know how you are doing after surgery!

Love, elephant

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional