| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Previous drug abuse and becoming a donor  (Read 3001 times)

Offline choobs92

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
Previous drug abuse and becoming a donor
« on: December 26, 2017, 07:15:40 AM »
Hi,

Does PREVIOUS very occasional drug use eliminate me fully from being able to donate my liver lobe?

The only drug I used was cocaine and this was not on a regular basis at all and was over 2 years ago and I rarely even drink any alcohol now either. Is this something that would straight away eliminate me from the process? Or is it something that they would do a biopsy for first to check if the liver is suitable (I've been informed they do this if someone has had a past of relative alcohol intake).

I fully accept if they tested my liver if it wasn't suitable and I am going to be fully honest about previous substance use. But I hope that they can do a biopsy first without ruling me out straight away.

Thank you

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Previous drug abuse and becoming a donor
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 06:11:37 AM »
Hi. I donated a kidney, but I have read about liver donors for some years now as well. You should, of course, answer honestly all questions asked. But they check ALL livers to make sure they are functioning well and have no problems before they approve a donation, not just those who may have a special situation. Regarding past drug use they are more concerned if the drug use involved needles, which could result in infection (HIV, Hepatitis, etc.) But as far as I know you would not automatically be ruled out.
     Fr. Pat

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved