| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Donating kidney after liver  (Read 4190 times)

Offline papipete

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
Donating kidney after liver
« on: February 06, 2018, 04:18:07 PM »
Donated liver just over a year ago. Not expecting to donate a kidney immediately, but would like to know about the obstacles and potential resistance from transplant team when I'm ready to donate. What will they say to me?

Offline AshleyH2887

• Top 200 Poster!
  • Living Kidney Donor
Re: Donating kidney after liver
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 04:08:30 PM »
I am curious about this information as well but the opposite...
I donated a kidney three years ago and would like to be a liver donor...any information would be great!

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 05:09:48 AM »
I know that a few kidney donors have later also donated a liver lobe. Don' know about donating a liver lobe first. Many (most?) transplant hospitals will not even consider it, as they don't want a healthy person yo take the surgery risks two times. Some hospitals may also suspect that the offer is from a sort of "donation junkie" who felt SO good after donating one organ that they want to feel that "high" again. So anyone willing to donate both may have to do some searching to find the hospitals who will do this. There are a couple of persons who donated both kidney and later a liver lobe who check in at the FaceBook page of Living Donors on Line, so you might want to try to contact them there and learn from their experiences.
      Fr. Pat

Offline Michael

• Founder of LDO
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 08:49:25 AM »
There are a few people who have donated both kidney and liver. As Fr. Pat notes, the challenge is finding a transplant center that will allow you to do both.

Living donors often are so moved by their experience that they want to keep on giving. Ways that don't involve major surgery and its complications include being a blood donor (you can save someone's life every eight weeks!) and bone marrow donation (most donations are by peripheral blood stem cells instead of surgery). So please consider signing up to be a blood donor and marrow donor.
Michael
Living Donors Online
Our mission: to improve the living donation experience

Offline papipete

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 07:24:14 PM »
These replies have been very helpful. I've been a blood donor 6 times a year for years, and will continue this, as well as look into bone marrow donation. I won't go looking to donate another organ, unless it comes looking for me (the way the liver donation did).

Offline pilotjjc3

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 04:39:50 PM »
I agree with the blood donation.  People who donated blood kept my Dad alive two years longer than he was expected to live. 

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 06:26:26 AM »
It is now very easy to sign up as a possible bone marrow donor. You used to have to give a vial of blood for testing. Now they just mail you a cheek swab that you can use and mail back! But the chances of finding a match are rather small, as a VERY exact match is needed. Try www.marrow.org
   Fr. Pat

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved