| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Returning to work?  (Read 4922 times)

Offline Mistyblue1957

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
Returning to work?
« on: April 30, 2018, 10:27:28 PM »
I hope to donate a kidney to my husband in the next two months. I’ve cleared all the tests except the final cat scan, and they anticipate no problems.  My only concern is going back to work.  I have a desk job, just use a calculator and computer.  I hope to return to work at two weeks, I don’t even work full time. Since I have such a low key job,  do you think it’s a possibility?  I sure hope so, but I’ve read posts from people who really seem to suffer from drastic fatigue. Is that typical?  Any insight would be helpful!!   This kidney transplant is happening no matter what, if I have any say!

Offline pbandjess

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
Re: Returning to work?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 10:36:05 PM »
Hi, Misty!  I don't have an answer because I'm also still pre-donation, but I was actually wondering the same.  I work from home in my PJs most of the time, so I'm actually hoping I'll be able to return to work after just a few days (I don't get paid for time off!).  Nice to "meet" another newbie here!

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 03:30:05 AM »
There is a GREAT variety of recovery and return-to-work times among kidney donors (I recovered very well). So it is wise to plan financially for the POSSIBILITY of being unable to work well for a longer time. Also, some donors report lingering "brain fog" for a while which may lead to more calculation mistakes. If you post also at the FaceBook page of Living Donors on Line you will probably get many more responses, and you can also read past discussions on this topic there.
      best wishes
          Fr. Pat (donor, 2002)

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 07:52:56 AM »
Dear Misty,

I went back to my full time desk job after 3 weeks, and could have used another week off.  I was 47 when I donated.  It wasn't the work, but the driving and fatigue.  Your results may vary...any chance of a work from home arrangement?  That would have worked for me.

Let us know when you are ready to donate! 

While you are waiting, you can clean the house, pay all the bills, and stash some dinners in the freezer.  You'll be glad after surgery that *someone* was so thoughtful in advance.

Love, elephant

Offline Mistyblue1957

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 08:54:19 AM »
Thanks so much!   I CAN work from home, if someone brings me all the paperwork, that’s a plus, but I’m a lot older—-(60).  I know that can impact my recovery time.  Thankfully, I have lots of family support!
I’ll keep you in the loop.  Tomorrow I go for my last pre donation test.  Cat scan with dye, to check out my kidneys,  then, providing that goes well, we will be able to schedule the transplant!

Sincerely,  misty

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 03:00:56 PM »
I have a desk job as well, and had the same job when I donated. I was thinking that I might go back at 4 weeks rather than take the complete 6 weeks off. I talked with the surgeon and I remember him distinctly telling me: " we say 6 weeks because that is literally how long it takes your body to heal - whether you cooperate or not!"  I am glad I did take the full time off - I felt much better, more rested, and had good energy when I returned to work.
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline AdrianFR

• Top 100 Poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 11:28:46 AM »
I also had a desk job when I donated my kidney. I took the full 6 weeks off that was recommended by my doctor. I live in California and was able to get disability pay for the time that I was off so that  helped financially. Check with your state to see if that's a possibility for you.

Offline abrownthing

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2018, 12:43:59 PM »
I return less than three weeks after donating my kidney.  It depends on how quickly the fatigue goes away and how your incisions feel, but I'm doing great.  Now 5 weeks post donation!

Offline Mikaela

• Top 200 Poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 12:09:02 PM »
Hi, i have a desk job too and i went back to work at 3 months after surgery. But, in my case, i have a lot of low back pain so i had ro go to a fisioterapist for 1 month. If it wasn't for that i could have go back to work one month after donation. Now I can't sit for long time...so have a walk throw the office every 2 hours (i work in a biggg office)  ;D
Don't push yourself in going back to work too early...it is an important surgery and it takes time...
Don't worry, everything will be OK, just take care of yourself and take it easy.

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional