| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Smoking....  (Read 3084 times)

Offline Mikaela

• Top 200 Poster!
  • I'm new!
Smoking....
« on: July 11, 2018, 07:56:37 AM »
Hi there,
There 3,5 months now since I donate a kidney to my husband and everything goes well...I had some problems with back pains but is controlled now.
Any of you have been smoking before surgery? I quit it one month before surgery and till now i only smoked 4-5 cigarettes in 3 months...is preety difficult, I have moments when i would like to smoke but i am so afraid it could affect my remaining kidney....How did you manage that??

Best for you all!!

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Smoking....
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 08:55:13 AM »
I never had smoked, so did not have the problem. You might want to post also at the FaceBook page of Living Donors on Line, as more donors check in there these days rather than here.
    Fr. Pat

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 11:00:09 AM »
Dear Mikaela,

If donating your kidney helps you stop smoking for the rest of your life it would mean two lives were extended from the donation - both yours and your husbands. 

It is certainly very hard to stop smoking, but it does get easier over time, and many people do stop completely.  If you already have 3 months without smoking, why would you want to lose all that hard work by smoking now?  Within another few months the cravings should be less, and you will be much healthier.  Plus you will save a lot of money that would go to cigarettes. 

Love, elephant

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 03:45:28 PM »
Congratulations on quitting! I know that is a very hard habit to break! My husband quit about 25 years ago - his mother, who was a lifelong smoker, came down with lung cancer and it scared the heck out of him. I will never forget that his mom had part of a lung removed due to the cancer. My husband and his brother cleaned out the house of every cigarette (including hidden ones!) that they could find. When they brought her home, you could tell, even with part of a lung gone if she could have had a cigarette she would have smoked one then and there. Since it constricts blood flow, it may or may not affect your kidney and other organs. I have also known people who lost kidney function as the result of chemo to treat cancer, which can be caused from smoking.

Continue on with your healthy living  and kudos to you for resisting such an addictive habit! Your kidney along with every other organ will thank you for your efforts!
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved