| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Unrelated Major Surgery  (Read 3232 times)

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
Unrelated Major Surgery
« on: August 01, 2018, 12:08:36 PM »
So I developed ulcerative colitis not long after I donated in 2011.  I've finally reached the point where I'm scheduled to start surgical removal of my colon (step1 surgery)  this month and hopefully construction of a jpouch (step 2 surgery) at the end of November.

My surgeon does laparoscopic surgery and thinks he can reopen the same incision from the nephrectomy.  Has anyone re-used their incision?

Now I need to brush up on all the surgical preparation and recovery hints! How many internal organs can come out of one person? 

love, elephant

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Unrelated Major Surgery
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 02:31:24 PM »
Knock on wood, no other surgeries, but wanted to wish you best of luck and quick recovery in your upcoming surgery. Hope it helps to give you some relief.
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 07:21:00 AM »
Thanks @Orchidlady, I expect it will be a bit harder than the donation surgery, since I am going in sick instead of healthy. 

Offline PastorJeff

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Donated non-directed on September 5, 2012 at UCSF
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 06:45:52 PM »
I am so sorry to hear that it has come to this.  You seem like one of the nicest people on here.  I know they've come a long way with what they can do.  I don't know a thing about you but I will pray for you. I've always liked elephants.  ;)

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 08:43:43 AM »
Thanks PastorJeff,

Appreciate the prayers.  May I be granted the strength I need to deal with this illness patiently!

I will need to switch from peanuts to peanut butter...

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 03:33:58 PM »
Elephant,

wishing you a successful surgery and full recovery.

Keep us posted.

Sherri

Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved