| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: 2007 Altruistic Kidney Donor & Possible 2018 Liver Donor  (Read 7702 times)

Offline himer24

• Top 100 Poster!
  • I'm new!
2007 Altruistic Kidney Donor & Possible 2018 Liver Donor
« on: August 01, 2018, 05:25:03 PM »
Hello All, its been a very long time since i posted on here but i want to share great news that i am going thru donating a piece of my liver to my best friends daughter. I donated my kidney 11 years ago and what a great experience that was too a stranger then and a great friend now. I was wondering if anyone else experienced both donations and if there is a big difference from donating a kidney? Hope all is well with all of you and thanks for reading. God Bless!

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: 2007 Altruistic Kidney Donor & Possible 2018 Liver Donor
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 02:33:04 PM »
Dear himer,

Since I wound up with an autoimmune disorder shortly after my kidney donation,  I can't even donate blood.  But I am amazed that you are in the approval process for a liver donation.  From what I have learned from other donors, liver donation is a bit rougher than kidney donation.  Hope you will keep us updated on your progress - have you been approved and scheduled or are you in testing? 

love, elephant

Offline himer24

• Top 100 Poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 07:21:42 PM »
Hi Elephant, I got all my testing done except one and that is a colonoscopy they want done because i am 48 years old. I will have everything done by next friday the 10th. I will know on the following tuesday if its a go or not.. I am sorry you about the autoimmune disorder. You did a great thing! Always remember that! I will keep you updated on my progress.. Thanks!

Robert

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 07:24:24 AM »
Wow himer24, you are awesome.  Because of my illness I have done *many* colonoscopy preps...my best advice is to get some wet wipes before you start.  And some bottles of lemon lime Gatorade.  Let us know when you are approved so we can cheer you on! 

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 04:56:52 PM »
Congratulations! I have met or read the stories of a few others who have donated a liver lobe after having donated a kidney, and it is still rare (and some hospitals will not even THINK about it.) It is a much more invasive surgery than kidney donation, with a longer recovery and a much higher risk of complications and re-admissions to the hospital. So be preparred for a more difficult time as compared with your kidney donation. Please keep us informed about how it goes.

Offline himer24

• Top 100 Poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 11:34:47 AM »
Thanks Fr Pat, I will keep you informed.. I just had most of the testing done.. I have a stress test with echo. on wednesday and i have to meet with the psychiatrist on monday morning.. Colonscopy Appointment is Tuesday.. so, i am on the downward slide of remaining tests. Probably will find out on the 21st if i am accepted. The MRI was the toughest test thus far.

Offline himer24

• Top 100 Poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 06:23:41 PM »
Well, i will officially know next tuesday if i will be eligible or not. I feel tremendous about the whole thing. I had over 40 test done and my stress test was superb. My heart EF# is 55 and the functional capacity was above average. I weighed 224lbs on July 26th and i am at 208lbs today. All my lab work is complete and looking at the numbers, i feel very positive about this. I am so excited on helping another and praying that everything goes well. She is in desperation mode! I wont be able to sleep tuesday. Pray for me!

Offline Michael

• Founder of LDO
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 07:08:14 PM »
Sounds like everything is moving along nicely. Please keep us informed all along the way!
Michael
Living Donors Online
Our mission: to improve the living donation experience

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 08:34:41 AM »
Prayers have been said for you dear himer24 and your recipient.   Eager to hear about your status next Tuesday. 

Love, elephant

Offline himer24

• Top 100 Poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2018, 10:25:23 PM »
Well, my presentation was held today and i am so curious on the result. I should hear something no later than thursday. I seen all my test and my liver morphology was normal, heart was above average, pancreas, spleen, gallbladder, adrenal glands, lungs were all perfect. I did notice one thing on the test, it said i have several cysts on my remaining kidney. I dont know if that would affect anything or not regarding the liver donation. I will keep you informed!

Offline himer24

• Top 100 Poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2018, 10:54:03 PM »
Well, my presentation didnt take place on tuesday because the doctor was doing surgery and had to cancel. They told me it should be this tuesday coming up. It is very difficult waiting for an answer with 2 big families and lots of friends waiting to hear and a girl that is in desperate need of a liver. I will keep updating the progress..

Robert Rice

Offline himer24

• Top 100 Poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2018, 05:10:15 PM »
Everything is a go! They want to meet with me and my wife too make sure she will be there for me when i am recovering. I feel surreal  right now. I am so excited and my best friends daughter is relieved. I will keep you all updated.

Robert Rice

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2018, 04:48:55 PM »
Wow himer24!  Amazing amazing amazing.  More prayers are being said.  Let us know when you have a date. Love, elephant

I just had my second abdominal surgery to take out an organ, but this was not to donate.  I had to have my whole colon removed.  At home recovering.  I was up and walking the evening after am surgery, and went home after 2 nights. 

Offline KidneyDonor2014

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2018, 03:46:33 PM »
Hi 2007 Altruistic Kidney Donor & Possible 2018 Liver Donor.  Would you mind sharing where you've been accepted to donate in 2018?  I have just started the process and am finding little info on which transplant centers will accept someone who's donated a kidney to donate a liver lobe.  I too was a stranger donor.  My recipient and I became very close.  She passed on about 4 yrs ago but had a great 9+ years of life after her kidney transplant.  I have thought of donating a lobe of liver for years and am just taking first steps.  Thank you!

Offline himer24

• Top 100 Poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2018, 06:03:16 AM »
Sorry for taking so long to reply, my donation center is U.P.M.C. Montefiore in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. I am so sorry that your recipient passed on.. God Bless you for doing what you did.. There isn't too many of us walking the earth.. I would love to keep in touch with you. Are you on facebook? My name on there is Himer Rice.. you are awesome for doing what you did..

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional