| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: "Donor Friendly" life insurance companies  (Read 3476 times)

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
  • You may never know the burdens others carry
"Donor Friendly" life insurance companies
« on: September 04, 2018, 06:27:02 PM »
Hi all;

My name is Scott and I became an altruistic kidney donor to a young man in Minnesota on October 10, 2010.  Since that time, I have become a "crossfitter" and a runner (half marathon, trail running, destination running, etc...) and am pretty much the picture of health. 

After my donation experience, my new normal for my creatine level hovered around 1.2 - 1.4.  As I began to look for life insurance over the last couple of years, I found that when the underwriters discovered I was a living kidney donor and that my Creatine level was slightly above normal, I would always be accepted for a policy but it was immediately offered at twice the premium monthly cost, at a reduced term of years (generally cut in half) and for about half of the value as a person in my same condition but whom had not been a living organ donor.

My fiance (50 years old) is healthy and receives about $500,000.00 of coverage on a living benefit policy and pays $102.77/month for a 30 year term.  I am with the same company and pay $99.00/month for $250,000.00 coverage on a 10 year term and was offered another 10 years of coverage for an additional 100.00/month but still only the $250,000.00 coverage.   The only difference between the two of us health wise is I am a living donor and my creatine is slightly elevated but consistent.  I've offered letters from the Chief Surgeon of the University of Minnesota Transplant Center along with the Medical Journal study on long-term health outcomes for living donors, to the underwriters and they all ignore the statistics.

I know several years ago, I saw a thread on this site that identified a couple of "donor friendly" companies and I'm hoping you all can help me with identifying some that may be, either through direct or indirect knowledge or experience.

thanks and I hope you are all doing well.   Nicki Hayes, if you're still out there, hit me up on here - I've lost track of you my friend and wonder often how you're doing.

Thanks all.

Scott Jenkins - Minnesota
Scott

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: "Donor Friendly" life insurance companies
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 02:00:19 AM »
I don't have any information on that, but you might want to post your question at the FaceBook page of Living Donors on Line, as these days there is a lot more traffic there than here.
    Fr. Pat

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional