| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: My recipient passes  (Read 4269 times)

Offline PastorJeff

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Donated non-directed on September 5, 2012 at UCSF
My recipient passes
« on: May 13, 2019, 06:53:29 PM »
From a week ago Monday:  I returned two nights ago from San Diego where I spent time with my kidney recipient and his family. Today his wife notified me that he had died early this morning of the cancer that ravaged his body. My time with him, his wife and family was precious. He was once a stranger but became my close friend and brother.  It is very sad yet he had received the grace of 27 years from two kidney transplants. But more than that my friend and I believed that in Christ we fall asleep only to wake in the blessed presence of the Lord. So yes we who are left behind grieve but we grieve with hope.

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: My recipient passes
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 07:13:15 AM »
I'm glad you decided to share this here and on the FaceBook page. People who are thinking of donating need to know the whole stories, not just the lovely initial success stories. You did a great thing.

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 11:43:35 AM »
My sympathies to you and the family. Sorry to hear this.
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 08:50:26 AM »
Dear Pastor Jeff,  Sad to hear your recipient passed away. But I am glad to hear he had so many years of life/ 

My Dad died from cancer as well, he'd been immunosupressed for 20 years since his heart transplant.  His kidney function was perfect, so my donation did not fail.   I think this must happen to many who have transplants.

Love, elephant

Offline PastorJeff

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Donated non-directed on September 5, 2012 at UCSF
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 03:42:17 PM »
Thanks Elephant for responding.  Also for sharing about your dad.  It's interesting.  I have now come to know and correspond with some of the family members who I hardly knew before.  At one point his wife said," it's too bad we can't pass the kidney on to someone else."  His family is precious and very close.  The hospice social worker observed they already had a very good support system.  I observed that when I was there. 

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional