| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Dancing  (Read 5228 times)

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Dancing
« on: August 24, 2019, 10:12:12 PM »
At the Transplant Games held every two years (next Games in new Jersey, Summer 2010) one of the popular events is the Ballroom Dancing competition. Previously the dancers had to be recipients or living donors. But at the next Games "Donor Families" (families whose deceased loved ones donated after death) can also participate. And they have re-named the event "Dancing With The Scars"! They even got permission from the producers of "Dancing With The Stars" to use that variattion of the name without being sued. Info at www.transplantgamesofamerica.org/dancing.htlm

Offline 1KidneysEnuff

• Top 200 Poster!
  • Kidney donor 2018
Re: Dancing
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 07:51:13 PM »
Father,

There's a typo in that link.  (htlm instead of html)

http://www.transplantgamesofamerica.org/dancing.html

It's not clear whether couples must include a transplant recipient. That seems implied by the notes in the categories that "only one needs to be a recipient."

Do you know if team events usually require a recipient on each team?

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 07:52:41 AM »
Thanks for catching the typo. I'm not sure of the answer to your question about the dance contest. Perhaps if you locate your nearest State or regional Team you could ask them to clarify it?
     Although the rules can change over the years, I believe that all the team events (basketball, volleyball) require that the whole team be recipients.

Offline 1KidneysEnuff

• Top 200 Poster!
  • Kidney donor 2018
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 08:26:57 PM »
I did ask. It wasn't long before I got my answer.

Thanks for reaching out. So there are three "team joining" options that are available to participants.
1) Join the state team in which they currently reside in.
2) Join the state where you donated in or had your transplant in.
3) Join no team and register as a "non-team affiliate."

The Dancing with the Scars competition entry guidelines are as follows.
-In order to be eligible to compete and medal participants must be either a solid organ recipient, living donor, bone marrow recipient, cornea recipient, tissue donor or a donor family member.
-Partners of the above group can be anyone, a wife, husband, child, sibling, dance instructor, etc. However, they will not be awarded a medal. Only those "officially" eligible can medal. (Those in the first group listed).

Hope this helps.

Maybe I can dance better now that I'm not weighed down by that kidney.  I wonder if I can convince a partner to believe that. :D

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 07:33:50 AM »
Go for it! I watched the competition at the last Games in Salt Lake City and everybody had a great time. Some couples danced great, bet even those who did not dance quite so well had a blast. The Games are a real "celebration of life" so everybody enjoys the fact that they CAN dance at all!

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional