| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Appealing donation rejection  (Read 3342 times)

Offline Crowseye

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
Appealing donation rejection
« on: February 22, 2020, 06:50:20 PM »
I applied to the USC Berkeley hospital to donate a kidney to my brother, but my application was rejected. The RN I spoke to said it was a medical issue and though they wouldn’t give me details I assume it was because I was diagnosed a few years ago with BPH. I took medication for this for a time, but now my urologist is just doing the wait and see as it is not bothering me too much. I also had back surgery two years ago for a herniated disc that impinged on my spinal cord, leaving me with some nerve damage on my lower body, but this did not directly affect my organs. I wish I had played this down on the application more or not mentioned it at all. I was honest about my medical history because I felt that my BPH was mild enough and even with the past back surgery I was still healthy enough to donate. I live in Canada and my brother lives in California so maybe that played into their decision. I don't know.
What I really want to know is, can you reapply after you are rejected or can you appeal? I can’t see anything on the USCSF website one way or the other and google searches have come up empty. I should have asked the RN but I was kind of in shock on the phone when she told me I was rejected. My assumption is that unless something significant changes in someone’s medical status then the answer would be no.
This is all so hard. Most of the friends he has have not stepped up to donate. Even the two who said they would when we first found out he had end stage kidney disease two years ago have backed off.
Any information about appeals or reapplying would help.

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Appealing donation rejection
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 06:57:22 PM »
I would suggest that you ask them to send you a written explanation of the medical reason)s= and also the results of your tests. That will give you more information to work with.
You might want to post your question at the ¨FaceBook¨pages of Living Donors on Line and also of Living Kidney Donors Support Group, as more people now check in there rather than here.
There is also a FaceBook page for Örgan Transplant Recipients and Living Donors in Canada where you might find some guidance.

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Appealing donation rejection
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2020, 04:38:13 PM »
I agree with Fr. Pat, please make sure to get a copy of all your testing and a written explanation of why you were not approved to donate. It could have nothing to do with your medical history. maybe there was a positive crossmatch. your anatomy may not be one they felt they could handle if your kidneys have several renal arteries. not sure. but it is strange that they would say you were rejected and not give you a reason.

Depending on what the reason is, if your brother is willing, he can go to another hospital to be treated. Each hospital has their own criteria. it is not like there is a standard across the board as strange as that might be.

Best to find out the whole picture. best of luck and let us know how it goes.

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved