| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Helping my husband cope  (Read 2772 times)

Offline firemom31

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
Helping my husband cope
« on: July 20, 2020, 03:12:39 PM »
My husband donated his kidney to a friend in 2008. He found out yesterday that his recipient passed away. My husband is extremely distressed, even though they have not had contact in several years. The gentleman was in his 80's and lived many good years because of the donation. He says I can't understand the things he is feeling, and I'm sure he's right. It is indeed a unique experience. Can anyone offer any suggestions of what I can say, or not say, to help him?

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
Re: Helping my husband cope
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 05:27:57 PM »
Welcome to LDO. So sorry to hear of your spouse's distress. Please extend our sympathy to all of you. Has he had a chance to talk to any of his recipient's surviving loved ones or caregivers? Perhaps that will help him. He's welcome here, as well, especially to the Donor Buddy section where he might find a peer he can talk to. Take good care.
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 07:52:32 PM »
You might want to also post your question at the FaceBook pages of "Living Donors on Line" and "Living Kidney Donors Support Group". These days there are more donors who check in there, and I know that at those pages there are some donors whose recipients have died.

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 07:06:43 AM »
My recipient is my husband, so obviously his death would have a different meaning to me  - so, what is your husband feeling? I think I would be happy the person got 12 more years of life because of me.  Is he feeling he failed in someway?

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved