| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Liver donation AB blood  (Read 3302 times)

Offline JanetJas

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
Liver donation AB blood
« on: January 22, 2021, 10:23:37 PM »
Hello everyone. I am new to this forum but not new to wanting to donate my liver. 
With my blood type AB, I don’t come across anyone in need need with my blood type.

Has anyone come across this?

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Liver donation AB blood
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2021, 03:23:55 AM »
You might want to also post this at the FaceBook pages of "Living Donors on Line" and "Living Donors Support Group" as more donors check in there now rather than here.

Offline Michael

• Founder of LDO
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 12:36:00 PM »
Only about 4% of the U.S. population has AB blood type, and there aren't other blood types that are compatible, so that explains why you're having difficulty finding a match.

Are you signed up to be a blood donor and marrow donor? Your blood type is still an issue with these forms of donation in terms of matching, but at least you can expand the possibilities for donating to someone in need. They are also forms of donation with significantly lower levels of complication compared to liver donation.
Michael
Living Donors Online
Our mission: to improve the living donation experience

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 01:50:52 PM »
Have you considered becoming a plasma donor? The ARC calls donors with your type "AB Elite" plasma donors. Just as with O negative red cell donors, your plasma is compatible for all recipients. Also like O negative, your AB is found in few folks, and even fewer donors. Best wishes whatever you decide!
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved