Living Donation Discussion and News > Living Donation Forum

Waiting approval

(1/2) > >>

kaylasgm:
I am awaiting to see if I am a match to donate to my brother.  The waiting I think is the worse part.
I will feel terrible if I am not a match and cant help him.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Fr Pat:
     Congratulations on your willingness to donate to your brother! You might want to keep in mind that if you are judged to be a suitable candidate for donation, but are not a match for your brother, you still would have (if you wish) two other options for getting him a transplant:
1. A "paired exchange" in which you would be matched with another family in the same situation. That donor would give to your brother, while you would give to that donor's incompatible candidate. Such matches can be made at www.paireddonation.org or at www.kidneyregistry.org
2. A "list exchange" in which you would donate to the best candidate selected for you from the waiting list, and in return your brother would be moved to the top (or close to the top) of the waiting list for the next available matching organ from a deceased donor, thus greatly cutting his waiting time for a transplant.
     So, don't worry excessively. If you are not a match for him, there are still ways to help him.
   best wishes,
   Fr. Pat

Scott337:
Kayla (also my youngest daughter's name  ;D)

Your brother is very fortunate to have such a loving and giving sister. Fr. Pat's advice provides you some options should you not be a qualifying match for donation for your brother.  In some cases, this becomes even more beneficial for so many more people and can be a blessing for more than just your brother. 

We'll pray and hope for you both.  Please keep in contact with us and thank you for your selfless willingness to provide the gift of life.

Scott    8)

PhilHoover:
Been thinking about you...and know that you are ANXIOUSLY awaiting the initial test results.

Know that you are not the ONLY option that your brother has....and we will sincerely pray that God provides the BEST option for him.

Phil Hoover
Chicago

kaylasgm:
Thanks for the replies and words of encouragement.
I was suppose to hear by friday, but still awaiting the results.
Anything I can do to prepare myself?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version