Living Donation Discussion and News > Living Donation Forum

Found a potential donor... need info regarding testing paynebt

<< < (2/2)

Scott337:
Praying for you and your potential donor - keep a GOOD thought.  Best wishes and keep us informed.

Scott    8)

treehugger:

--- Quote from: GonePostalWV on June 24, 2011, 06:30:44 PM ---His blood type matches, so now we're to the bloodtesting stage.
My problem is, my private insurance only pays for the actual donor,
not "potential" donors.  Researching online, It appears that medicare
will pay for the testing, but when I called them asking about it, they
have no clue.
--- End quote ---

My husband was on the The List for about 4.5 years when we had a couple of offers from friends to get tested (this was before we knew about paired exchange). Our insurance at the time would not pay for testing of potential donors until my husband was on dialysis. We believe that BC/BS (yes, I'm naming names) wanted to stall until Medicare would have to foot the bill; Medicare gets involved once dialysis is started. Anyway, we were out of luck until I switched jobs and consequently switched insurance (to Kaiser) and suddenly we got approval to test potential donors.

Obviously all insurance plans and companies are different and you should definitely reach out to the transplant facility you are registered with for assistance, but I did want to say that this is a real problem for potential recipients under our current health care system.

Have you started dialysis yet?

Good luck!

Kara

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version