Living Donation Discussion and News > Living Donation Forum

an invitation to be glad with me

<< < (2/4) > >>

shelley:
Thank you Tom and Oldnslow for your encouraging comments about age!  Yes it does make some things harder that used to be easier, i.e., weight loss, arthritis, eyesight and of course the effects of good ol' gravity.  (As John Mayer says, "Gravity! Stay the hell away from me!")  But I am grateful our kidneys both still work fine. and that donation is one thing we can still do.

Angelica, only 9 days away!  Wow!  I hope you'll update us with your feelings as the day gets closer, and of course all the during and after stuff.  I love reading the stories, never get tired of them.  Have you written a blog or anything yet?

Fr. Pat, you've been the biggest encouragement all along this whole year for me.  You have no idea when you post a reflection or an encouragement, how it helps people who may not even respond.  Recently you said something about making lots of mistakes in your life and that donating a kidney is one thing you can look at and say, "Well, that was well done at least!"  I know I paraphrased a lot, but that really resonated with me.

Orchidlady:
Congratulations to you both Shelley! Time will pass quickly, but it's nice to have the extra weeks to prepare. Best of luck, and keep us posted.

Christine Robinson:
congratulations, Shelley! 

I met my recipient the same way: online. It is a wonderful gift to give and a truly life changing, gratifying experience on so many levels. You will never be the same person. Life has a way of showing us that no experience is everything we expect, and no worry comes quite to fruition as we imagine in our worst moments. If you've observed the writings here for a year now, you probably have a strong understanding of that. 

I wish you the very best in your experience as a donor, and that all of the richness that comes from such a gift is yours.  I encourage you to expect good follow-up from your living donor advocacy team, and that you'll take advantage of every opportunity to be reviewed, re-evaluated as time goes on.

Reach out to the group here and to those in your professional circle as needed.

All the very best of luck to you and your recipient!
Christine Robinson

ohtobeahayes:
Congratulations, Shelley!
That IS so so so so exciting, and the best news we can hope to hear! Please keep us updated on your journey! I love to hear uplifting and encouraging stories!
They don't take it lightly, giving a donor the okay. Since you made it, know you are just as healthy as can be. They'll give her the good kidney and leave you the great one!  I'm very, very happy for you both!
Congrats again!
Nicki

Aries7:
Hi Shelley!

Congratulation on being approved and getting a date set! That is such an exciting time, making it through all of the testing and finally being given the green light to go ahead. I remember how happy I was - I was thrilled! Donating a kidney is such a life changing experience. (In a very good way!)

I will always remember being a patient on the transplant floor after the surgery. (I was in the hospital for 4 days). One night in the middle of the night, there was a lot of noise in the hallway. I later asked my nurse about that. She said two organs had come in and three people had been called in as possible recipients. One person was called in as a "backup" as there was some question as to if one of the patients may be too ill to receive the organ. If they were to be deemed to be to ill to receive the organ, it would then go to the "backup". I remember thinking how sad that was, that no matter what, one of those people who was called in during the middle of the night, would end up leaving without a new organ. (Not to mention that someone else had to die for those organs to even become available.) That memory will always be with me, and was yet another reminder to me as to what is really important in life. How wonderful that those of us who are healthy are willing to donate and help out another fellow human being. You are making such a positive difference - God Bless You! Please continue to update us as to how you are doing and how things are going. Best of luck to you! :)

Linda

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version